Cast iron boiler efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I inherited a Housewarmer 45 Electronic back boiler with Economy 2 gas fire in my house. Last year I flushed out the central heating system, by connecting a mains hose to points around the system, and a circulation pump directly to the boiler. I was convinced I got most of the 'stuff' out, and refilled it with inhibitor.

This didn't cure the popping and banging although it quietened it quite a bit. I assume there is calcium build up inside the boiler.

As it is still running, so no particular problem, I'm sure it isn't that efficient. I have been advised to hang onto it as long as possible, because the modern ones are expensive and will take a long time to equal the cost of fitting a new one against the gas use.

So what do I do?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
You could add Sentinel X200 scale treatment which can be left in the system and should improve the operation if its lime scale.

Where abouts are you?

You could also measure the flow and return temps to see if the flow rate is adequate.

Tony

Run some cleaner around the system and drain down to see if this improves it. You probably have gravity hot water so does it pop and bang on hot water with no central heating. If so probably needs a bit of flushing through the cylinder and boiler.

Thanks both of you.

I don't think chemicals will help, because last year I uses an independent heating engineers, de-sludge chemical, and in their proper order Sentinel X100, X200, and X400. Having used all of theses chemicals, do you think there still might be calcium or sludge inside the boiler?

I am in West Dorset.

I'm not sure about the flow, but the pipes and rads soon get warm.

I'll check on the hot water only bit too.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Its depressing when installers don't even believe in the products they sell

A boiler is much like any machine abuse it and it will fail...trouble is people think there is only one way to use a boiler...

The longest serving incident free condensing I know of is 13 years old and going strong...

granted manufacturers do screw up occasionally but that should not detract you from investing in what is good reliable technology, if installed as the design engineers intended!

Its depressing when installers don't even believe in the products they sell

A boiler is much like any machine abuse it and it will fail...trouble is people think there is only one way to use a boiler...

The longest serving incident free condensing I know of is 13 years old and going strong...

granted manufacturers do screw up occasionally but that should not detract you from investing in what is good reliable technology, if installed as the design engineers intended!

Hi Alec,

I can't quite understand what you are explaining. Are you talking about my boiler or the chemicals I used?

Cheers, Camerart.

I have been advised to hang onto it as long as possible, because the modern ones are expensive and will take a long time to equal the cost of fitting a new one against the gas use.

I was responding to this!

I personally think the older stuff with less electronics is more reliable than the modern stuff, give me a thermocouple over a pcb filled with surface mounted mcu's. Maybe as the tendency is to swap out for combination boilers, which I don't agree with compared to a simple open vented steamer doesn't help. However from a repair stand point combination boilers make me money.

You won't stop your old CI boiler banging and popping. The deposits inside are virtually impossible to remove. The chemical treatments you mention will make a temporary respite at best.

It is true that a new boiler will take some time to earn it's replacement cost. I have had the same issue with every car I've bought and the new fridge freezer isn't showing break even yet either.

But you will need a new boiler soon and someone prudent might say that it is better to plan for this rather than wait for the day the bath is cold and come downstairs to a kitchen under two inches of rusty water. Then all you have is the Yellow Pages and a big hurry.

Thanks,

The banging is a bit annoying, apart from anything it reminds me how many times the boiler starts using gas.

So you doubt that cast iron 'acid' then inhibitor would silence the noise?

I suppose if I have to change it, then I might as well get the benefit sooner than later. It would be a big job to fit a balanced flue boiler. I've just requested information from Baxi for a new back boiler. I think it might be over £1000.

Cheers, Camerart.

Drain the system and pour a bottle of fairy liquid into expansion cistern , the banging/kettleing will be gone within a few hours. ;)

Drain the system and pour a bottle of fairy liquid into expansion cistern , the banging/kettleing will be gone within a few hours. ;)

The answer can't be that easy!!! Can it?

If I drain the 'expensive' inhibitor out, and put washing up liquid in, will the radiators still be protected? I don't mind too much about the boiler, it will just speed up my decision :)

cheers, Camerart.

Well stick some inhibitor in there as well. :D

Don't worry about others telling you not to use it ;) , we used it 35 odd years ago on the recomendation from a large boiler manufacture , get it in there. :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It does actually work very well. What it will do to your pipe work is anyone's guess ;). I was given this tip years ago by some else who should know better.

We have given older boilers a reprieve almost as many times as we have quoted to replace.

Shot myself in the foot more times than I care to remember by advising to keep rather than replace.

Still - its goods to see the old girls going year on year. Just hope those customers remember that when it is time to change. Can think of a good dozen thathave been mentally priced up for nearly a decade :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back