CAT 5 Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring a point in extention for the computer too plug into, i never had CAT5 cable (have rarely used it, so dont have it in van), i did think i could use 4pair phone cable but decided against it.

can some please tell my this wouldnt be acceptable?

im also under the impression theres CAT6 cable??? should this be used over CAT5??

any info appreciated guys and gals, cheers

Sponsored Links
Phone cable is NOT suitable due to the physical construction of the cable.

CAT6 does exist, and ought to be used for any new installs, since the cost difference compared to CAT5 is minimal.

You're right, phone cable is unacceptable, it's only cat3 and will not support the data rates of a modern network. While running and terminating network cables is relatively easy once you've done it a few times, may I suggest that if you are charging a client for this work, you do a little reading about network cable installations on the web. There are many pitfalls to be aware of, such as not making any tight corners and adhering strictly to the minimum bend radius specified by the manufacturer, not kinking the cable, and not stripping back the outer jacket or untwisting the pairs further than necessary. Not observing any one of these can lead to the cable not performing to specification.

Sponsored Links
Phone cable is definitely not suitable as it missing a pair I think. Depending what the network is to be used for I would think Cat 5 is more than adequate. The reason for this is unless the rest of the network is cat 6 its only as good as its weakest link. But do bear in mind what electronicsuk said regarding installing the cable.

Should also avoid running it too near power cable though it's fine to cross it [pretty unavoidable].My last office needed Cat 6 to keep the high end Apple G5's happy.

Phone cable is definitely not suitable as it missing a pair I think.

800px-Hauptkabel2000DA.jpg

There seem to be enough pairs there.

I've done cat5 and cat6 installs in my house.
Cat5e is much less fussy than cat6 and probably more practical. not many houses have cable segments over 25m, in which case as long as your switch is gigabit you'll get gigabit speed from cat5e (for the first 25m).

The difference with 5 and 6, from a physical point of view, is the individual pairs are segregated from each other. Cat 5 is overall screened only.

Unless you are talking call centre band width usage, CAT5 is more than suitable. The maximum length of run, for general office usage, before you might see "losses" was about 100m if I remember correctly.

Cat5e is fully capable of gigabit links over 25m.

May be capable in nigh on perfect conditions......but certainly not guaranteed or the norm in my experience.

I've just made up approximately 40-50m of cat5e for a test, and I can't call the conditions anything like perfect. I think the results speak for themselves:
[code:1][ 3] local 172.16.1.3 port 51347 connected with 172.16.1.1 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0- 5.0 sec 398 MBytes 79.5 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 5.0-10.0 sec 400 MBytes 79.9 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 10.0-15.0 sec 399 MBytes 79.7 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 15.0-20.0 sec 399 MBytes 79.8 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 20.0-25.0 sec 398 MBytes 79.7 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 25.0-30.0 sec 400 MBytes 80.0 MBytes/sec
[ 3] 0.0-30.0 sec 2393 MBytes 79.8 MBytes/sec[/code:1]

If you're unable to achieve cat5e specifications beyond 25m, your installation is faulty.

im also under the impression theres CAT6 cable??? should this be used over CAT5??
And Cat5e, Cat6a, Cat 7...

Still no official Cat 8 yet, AFAIK.

Ive installed Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6e, Cat 7 and Cat 9 to distribute tv / entertainment throughout homes / offices etc.....

That thread is a great example of the misunderstanding that people have about cable technologies and bandwidths and frequencies etc -

i spoke to a guy this week who said that aerial guy's are now using cat 5 cable for tv socket work, as digital signal is better etc.

800px-Hauptkabel2000DA.jpg

There seem to be enough pairs there.
_11.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back