Caulking or silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hopefully a few quick ones here. Have been doing googling and as ever getting mixed messages. So I’m not sure if some things are product specific.

I’ve got low modulus silicone to seal the outside of my new windows. Problem I’ve got is it says don’t apply when it’s below 5 degrees. Being winter, it’s never above 5 degrees for at least 24 hours. So given the curing time, is it just not possible to seal windows over winter or are they being over cautious with 5 degrees? It’s going to -2 over the next few nights so I’m wary it could be wasted effort.

For the inside of the windows, would you use caulk or carry on with the low modulus silicone?

Any tips for doing it? I’m terrible at getting a good finish!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Hopefully a few quick ones here. Have been doing googling and as ever getting mixed messages. So I’m not sure if some things are product specific.

I’ve got low modulus silicone to seal the outside of my new windows. Problem I’ve got is it says don’t apply when it’s below 5 degrees. Being winter, it’s never above 5 degrees for at least 24 hours. So given the curing time, is it just not possible to seal windows over winter or are they being over cautious with 5 degrees? It’s going to -2 over the next few nights so I’m wary it could be wasted effort.

For the inside of the windows, would you use caulk or carry on with the low modulus silicone?

Any tips for doing it? I’m terrible at getting a good finish!

Thanks all
If you haven't paid a window fitter to fit your windows, pay him to seal around them. It'll be money well spent. I don't know where you live but the UK has been silicone cure friendly for at least the past week or more.

Wait until over 5c then gun up the outside.
I have found a few hours over 5c is enough for silicone to cure enough.
Internal work use a polymer or caulk so emulsion will cut in Vs silicone which is trouble when painting

If you haven't paid a window fitter to fit your windows, pay him to seal around them. It'll be money well spent. I don't know where you live but the UK has been silicone cure friendly for at least the past week or more.
Thanks. Fitted them myself. It’s something I want to get better at and I’m not really flush after the windows and all the other projects. So was looking to do it myself. I’m in Warwickshire. It’s been hovering around the 5 mark. Getting to 10 today but I’ve gotta finish off my garage conversion so won’t get a chance to do it.

Wait until over 5c then gun up the outside.
I have found a few hours over 5c is enough for silicone to cure enough.
Internal work use a polymer or caulk so emulsion will cut in Vs silicone which is trouble when painting
Should have some periods over the next week where it pushes above 5 for a few hours.

Sponsored Links
Two top tips I've given contractors over the years for finishing buildings; 1. always employ painters and decorators with white bibs and braces and brushes with half inch long bristles. 2. employ a silicone bloke to do all your sealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back