Choosing New Laptop

Peaps
The dell laptops we had were the Studio models, they cost in the region of £700 each, not what i would call budget.

I can only speak from our experience of selling 300+ lDell laptops. We sold many desktop servers as well.

Sponsored Links
+1 on everything LEE has said apart from

ignore the i3 model numbers

if your on a budget I would not worry much about the i3 CPUs if it's just for web surfing , internet shopping , facebook etc she'll be fine on any i3 cpu.

I have seen some i5 CPUs for around 400 with some suppliers, go with lee's advice but if you can get a i3 or i5 and within lee's other specifications go for it.

Well, I've done 2 things recently, 1 went back to ebuyer to look again at the Tosh lappy. Reckons it has a matt screen. But what REALLY puts me RIGHT off it from the get go is the huge list of BLOATWARE... :rolleyes: Might as well stick with Mrs Secure's slowboat...

We also went to Comet (or should that be Gonet? Ours looks like it might be closing down....) and looked at the AH530 in the flesh and also the 531, which had a silly offer:

531: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-FUJITSU-LIFEBOOK-AH531-Laptop/211847

Can no longer find the 530 link on the Comet website, but the one they had in store was the last one (maybe why ;) )but it was the same as this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/341125-fujitsu-lifebook-ah530-laptop-vfy-ah530mp505gb

After looking at the 531, Mrs S said she could not live with the mouse (fair enough, I could hook up the USB wireless mouse she has at the moment) but then she fancied using her wireles keyboard too. Would that be possible? Obviously she would not be able to do so in the High Street.... ;)

And, to complete her list of requests, could she link up a standard monitor?? :eek:

Basically, it would seem she'd like to be able to use it like a desktop in the house with a full size KB & monitor and wireless mouse then take it out and about when she has to.

Someone here said to be cheeky and make them an offer and haggle. Well, this one being the last one I said there must be more scope for discount particularly as they had only offered 5% off and the only one left was the display model so it was shop-soiled. No joy....

But what really annoyed me was that the guy had no idea which machine was a better performer, which chipset was better.

I must admit, I'm not well up on the new i series of processors.

Now, I know zorgan has just said don't worry which one you have BUT just for me and anyone else in the near future looking for an "i" processor powered PC or lappy, how can you tell them apart (apart from the clock speed)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Now, I know zorgan has just said don't worry which one you have BUT just for me and anyone else in the near future looking for an "i" processor powered PC or lappy, how can you tell them apart (apart from the clock speed)?

Thanks.

In what way, physically? or specification wise? if spec wise, then go to intel.com to see the differences, it generally boils down to number of cores / threads, cache and as you mention speed.

generally, more cache more core more threads more speed and of course more money = better performance.

Yeah, spec-wise.

The first thing did was go on Intel's site and look at the details and I can read the differences, but not interpret them very well as to the whether one is faster or better at multi-tasking etcetera....

Can anybody offer any general pointers, ie such and such a series of chip is better/ faster / newer/ more capable at such-and-such a task?

Typically the current Intel processors use less power. This means quieter (less fan use) cooler (for on your lap) and less power use (runs longer per charge).

AMD can have a similar processor speed, but do that by failing on the other points, so perhaps not the best choice for laptops unless those points don't bother you and the machine is cheaper than an Intel equipped one

You need to define what you will use the laptop for. Don't be blinded by processor speed, multi tasking or whatever.

If you will have a browser open, and then a word document in the background, then anything will cope. If you will habitually have loads of programs running at once, then go for something suitable for that.

For average use, an (any) i3 of at least 2ghz will cope with anything. Then spend more on memory

If you are doing any intensive processing (Graphics/CAD or gaming) then an i5 may be better.

Just pay for the things you need, and don't pay more for a processor that you will never use at full potential

If you are doing any intensive processing (Graphics/CAD or gaming) then an i5 may be better.

I would say if ur doing any of those things don't use a laptop!! As the graphics chipsets aren't generally up to much at this price point.

have you not bought the damm thing yet lol.

No.

Bathroom project to finish, £1000+ holiday booked (both before illness disaster struck), illness to recover from, off work, DVLA taken driving licence away, on half sick pay, lots of distractions..... :cry:

Still not bought the damn thing yet....

Might as well wait for the i11 processor... ;)

At last!

Finally looking to buy in the next couple of weeks.

Anything new to look out for?

Just to throw something into the mix...

Whatever budget laptop you get, consider replacing the hard drive with a Solid State hard drive. The speed gain (in real world computing) is like buying a laptop that costs quite a lot more.

Ok, so the drives are small (60gb/£50, 120GB/£70), but adequate for most needs and if you buy a 2.5" hard drive enclosure (about £10) you can use the existing hard drive as external storage.

Thanks chaps. I shall consider these options!

I've seen this at Comet, seems good for the money, but not sure about the KB...

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-FUJITSU-LIFEBOOK-AH532-Laptop/123739

But why is this one "worth" £700??

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-PACKARD-BELL-TE-I3-4GB-750GB-Laptop/532659

And this one is exactly the same price as the i3 one above, but i5, 2.5, smaller HDD & smaller RAM.

If you were choosing between these lifebooks, which would you have?

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-FUJITSU-AH532-I5-6GB-Laptop/123457

Is this i3 laptop good for the money? JS are selling exactly the same for £100 more!

http://www.ebuyer.com/392936-medion-akoya-e6221-laptop-med-e6221-dvd#product-description

Sponsored Links
Back