Climbing a 1786 foot tower without a safety rope.

yeah but there's someone who needs to tighten those nuts up when their own nuts are so tight they're up their assh*le !!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Frankly, I stopped watching when the guy pulled out the safety rope. What a rip!

Fred Dibnah, as mentioned was the hero, climbed up, no ropes, puffing away on a ciggy. RIP Fred.

I believe in the US, that many native Americans are employed for skyscraper building, and they walk along joists, no safety equipment, as if they are walking on the ground, as there is something inbred into them, as their Family has been doing that work for generations.

But that guy in the video, walking up a preinstalled ladder, with a safety clip? Pah!

Does anybody else remember the clip on news at ten donkeys years ago.
itv were doing a documentary on Fred, the news clip showed him in the pub getting his "dinner". All of a sudden his helper (some little old feller) bursts in and tells Fred that some protestor has climbed his ladders and got stuck near the top of the chimney. He said he's frozen and can't go up or down, but "don't worry I've phoned the police", Fred says " POLICE, police won't get cooont doon, It'll be me, Ah'll 'ave t'get coont doon.
With his accent I don't think the tv people understood what he was saying and just broadcast it, pure class.

Sponsored Links
There are some good utube clips of Fred that I've posted in the past.

Does anybody else remember the clip on news at ten donkeys years ago.
itv were doing a documentary on Fred, the news clip showed him in the pub getting his "dinner". All of a sudden his helper (some little old feller) bursts in and tells Fred that some protestor has climbed his ladders and got stuck near the top of the chimney. He said he's frozen and can't go up or down, but "don't worry I've phoned the police", Fred says " POLICE, police won't get cooont doon, It'll be me, Ah'll 'ave t'get coont doon.
With his accent I don't think the tv people understood what he was saying and just broadcast it, pure class.
Fred was ever the Gent. What he should`ve said is " Police ? - don`t get those C***s here" :LOL: His helper/ mate was Donald :idea:

I believe in the US, that many native Americans are employed for skyscraper building, and they walk along joists, no safety equipment, as if they are walking on the ground, as there is something inbred into them, as their Family has been doing that work for generations.

!

I used to do that job years ago during my twenties and early thirties.

Steel erectors back in them days used to walk the iron. nothing so invigorating as walking 4" beams 500+ feet in the air, it becomes second nature, akin to you walking on the pavement:cool:

;)

got to admit when the links for fred were posted iirc i spent the rest of the night looking through all of his clips that were posted on you tube i especially like the 1 where he sets the scaffold/landing round the top of a tower and just lashes the boards down with some rope,jeepers you wouldnt get me anywhere near doing that.

Thats the bloody trouble with Fred, you watch one clip of him and then spend the rest of the night watching all the others even if you've seen them loads of times before!
Been watching his series on Virgin Media about the old railways, fascinating!
Just what is it about this bloke that makes him so captivating to young and old alike?
My son, 31, and 4 year old G/daughter can sit there for 2 hours just watching his pogrammes!

He was very knowledgeable and a fine draughtsman.

Thats the bloody trouble with Fred, you watch one clip of him and then spend the rest of the night watching all the others even if you've seen them loads of times before!
Been watching his series on Virgin Media about the old railways, fascinating!
Just what is it about this bloke that makes him so captivating to young and old alike?
My son, 31, and 4 year old G/daughter can sit there for 2 hours just watching his pogrammes!

Because he's so down to earth, and not patronising when explaining something technical. I remember him visiting a stately house, and this toff was explaining in detail the cornicing or such, and Fred turned round and says, yeah, I've got the same in me kitchen like. toff 0 Fred 1. :LOL:

I got sweaty palms just watching that. :eek:
I was going to post exactly that! I have just got 1m56s in and my palms are sweating like I'm climbing on those spokes :eek: That would be one job you couldn't pay me a million quid a year to do.

I bet that tower sways like hell in the wind.

Sponsored Links
Back