CO alarm regs landlords.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone clarify if you need a CO alarm for boiler or not.
I know you need one for a open coal:wood fire and it's recommended for gas fire but do you need to have one for boiler or is it recommend/optional.

Sponsored Links
Optional, not a requirement.
Just had an debate with my Gas safe engineer. He thinks it's a law to have one for boiler. As it's on the Gas safety certificate.
Where do they train these guys??

As said, it is NOT a legal requirement for a CO alarm for purely gas appliances in England although that may be different in Scotland. It is however a legal requirement for log burners in rented accommodation

Sponsored Links
If you rent a property it's now a legal requirement to have CO alarm in every room with a boiler. If you live in it it's up to you.

Just had an debate with my Gas safe engineer. He thinks it's a law to have one for boiler. As it's on the Gas safety certificate.
Where do they train these guys??

Not law no but it is a legal requirement. In otherwords you open yourself up to prosecution if the tenant is found dead on the floor from asphyxiation and they find no CO alarm they will be coming after you.

Apologies you're right. I was on a landlord training course where it was mentioned and the speaker was guilt tripping landlords there to get them put in now as eventually it'll be passed, or so he thinks Sorry I got my wires crossed.

Apologies you're right. I was on a landlord training course where it was mentioned and the speaker was guilt tripping landlords there to get them put in now as eventually it'll be passed, or so he thinks Sorry I got my wires crossed.
For all they cost personally I would just fit them if I was you,but dont scrimp on pennies get ones with a 7 or ten year Lithium battery or the tenant might remove the batteries for something else, I prefer the Honeywell ones but plenty of other decent ones out there

Yup, read it again.

1. Smoke alarm on each floor with living accomodation.
2. CO alarm in each room with a solid fuel combustion appliance.

Gas isn't a solid fuel, no requirement for carbon monoxide detector at all.

For all they cost personally I would just fit them if I was you,but dont scrimp on pennies get ones with a 7 or ten year Lithium battery or the tenant might remove the batteries for something else, I prefer the Honeywell ones but plenty of other decent ones out there
Also remember that the alarm won't last as long as the battery. Most people hang them on the wall and think they're good for life, but they only last a few years (five, maybe a couple more?)

Also remember that the alarm won't last as long as the battery. Most people hang them on the wall and think they're good for life, but they only last a few years (five, maybe a couple more?)
Honeywell ones and others come with 7 or ten years warranty on the batteries and the unit itself, if one is installed it should be tested at every Landlords gas safety inspection and recorded

A CO alarm with a guaranteed 10 year life, including a non-replaceable lithium battery, is less than £20. That's an investment of less than £2 a year. I really don't understand why a responsible landlord wouldn't want one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back