Evening everyone. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. I've had a lot of stuff to do relating to my job, so I don't have as much time as I'd like. I'll most likely be very busy due to xmas, but will try and post on this forum whenever I can.

@HERTSDRAINAGE2010 - Thank you very much. I can say that since expanding foam filled the gaps, I have noticed a massive difference.

Now I hope your not going to mind, but I want to bring the attention back onto the windows and doors.

I took your advise to use a joss stick......Below is a video (apologies about the quality) to show smoke being blown away by the strong draught for the double-glazed window. It's the same living room with floor gap issues.

I would appreciate your opinions and advice....

View media item 102262

Sponsored Links
What happens at the top of the window? Is air being drawn in from the room into the gap between the curtains and the window?

Issue is whether the draught you’re observing in the vid is air from outside getting in through a gap, or just convection down the cold glass.

What happens at the top of the window? Is air being drawn in from the room into the gap between the curtains and the window?

Issue is whether the draught you’re observing in the vid is air from outside getting in through a gap, or just convection down the cold glass.

To be honest, i haven't got a clue. Surely such a strong, cold draught can't be simply convection air? Is there some test I can do?

I'm waiting for the weather to dry up, then I plan to take off the external seal around the frame and fill the void with expanding foam I'm hoping this may reduce some of the draught.

Surely such a strong, cold draught can't be simply convection air? Is there some test I can do?

Yes it can, and the test is to see what is happening elsewhere on the window. Is the airflow downwards over the cold glass and into the room at the bottom? Or can you find places at the edge of the pane (i.e. gaps) where there is a draught inwards?

For comparison, see if you can observe the upward warm convection draught from a radiator using your joss sticks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks endecotp. I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure how you want me to do the test.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're asking me to do the following steps:

1. Draw curtains
2. Make sure central heating is on and the room is warm
3. Place joss stick near the top of curtains to see whether the smoke is drawing toward the bottom of window or if it's being pushed away.

Is this correct?

endecotp - not sure if you have missed my previous reply, but I tried out what I think you were trying to advice earlier.

With central heating on, I drew the curtains. I then held a joss stick near top of window and the air pushed away from the window.

Does that help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back