Colour code the switch lines in lighting circuit

Good to see you, and I hope that all is well with you and yours.
However John, the brown sleeve on the blue conductor indicates this is functionally aLine conductor. Just look at 514.3.1(i) followed through to 514.4.4.
It does, and I've just acknowledged that, despite what has been said (seemingly incorrectly, by myself and others) in discussion, there does not appear to be any "except when there is no possibility of confusion" caveat, except (which doesn't seem to make much sense) possibly at the interface between old and new-coloured conductors.
FYI, if not present, I'm with RF and code it C3.
I don't think that anyone has disagreed with that (except, by implication, perhaps EFLI when he was thinking that the "except when there is no possibility of confusion" caveat applied generally).

More generally, EFLI seems to like debating "what is the point?" of the regulation, but that doesn't alter what the reg, says :)

Personally, I have always fairly 'religiously' over-sleeved blue/black conductors where appropriate, but in many cases (particularly light switches) I don't think I could produce a sensible argument as to why this was 'necessary' or useful - but, again, that doesn't alter what the regs say. In terms of 'useful' (to myself, on occasions), I have always adopted the convention of using brown (or red) for the permanent L and an over-sleeved blue (or black) for the S/L - but that has nothing to do with any regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose I will have to concede and agree with what people have deduced the wording means.

Have the regulations always said that?

Or have they omitted "unless there is no possibility of confusion" from 514.3.1?

514.1.3 would seem to be superfluous when 514.3.1 is in place - and also -

Appendix 7 2.1 would appear to negate it.

In the 1997 edition there is mention of labelling switchgear unless there is no possibility of confusion (514-01-01)
Regulation 514-06-01 says that every core shall be identifiable at its termination and that all phase wires of a single phase circuit shal be red. No mention of any get out clauses (I’ve paraphrased a little here)

514-01-03 does not exist

The 2008 edition appears to be word for word the same as the 2018 edition on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back