Colour code the switch lines in lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this was flagged up as being required on my neighbours rental property EICR test. myself and a mate think "really" what does the rest on here think?

Sponsored Links
Maybe the sleeving is missing on the Switched Lives? It's an observation and needs noting.

To be accurate, you do not have to "colour code the switch lines in a lighting circuit".

You merely have to identify the conductors - L, N or E - unless there is no chance of confusion.

This may be done by colour or alphanumerically.

Sponsored Links
Yes. How many times have we seen posts like this one on here? .... (Just the top result in the search box) .... https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/262805/
Yes, but the person who was 'confused' in believing that a blue was necessarily a neutral might well be uncertain as to what a bit of brown oversleeving meant.

I don't really think that the point of the requirement for identification of conductors is really aimed at 'the ignorant', since they might not even know the significance of brown, blue, red, black or G/Y. In fact, as EFLI often says, I think it is fairly unusual within, say, a domestic installation for it to be unclear (to anyone who ought to be going near anything electrical) as to what a conductor was being used for, regardless of any colour or alphanumeric identification 'identification' (or its absence).

Kind Regards, John

The regs do not say “do not apply brown sleeving if this may cause confusion” nor do they say “except where there is no possiblity of confusing an electrically competent person”

The regulation says “where there is no possibility of confusion”

I am coding my EICRs for compliance with BS7671. Missing sleeve is a non compliance. It probably doesn’t make the installation unsafe either, and my report would reflect that.

Can you prove this statement?

Yes. Regulation 514.3.1 in BS 7671:2018

See how easy it is to prove things when they’re not just made up?

Why can’t you provide evidence like this to support your statements?

That is no proof. Why don't you attach a PDF of this reg? The regs are not even a legal requirement.

Oh I forgot you don’t own a copy of the regs do you :ROFLMAO:

Why does it matter if they are a legal requirement or not? The grown ups are discussing whether something complies with BS 7671 or not, not whether it is legal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back