Combi recomendations

gas4you said:
Forget the Kw, you need to know the gas consumption in m3/hr.

The original pipe work my have been undersized right from the start :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice mate
It's 22mm at the meter and the boiler, so i'm assuming its the same underfloor, but assumption can be dangerous :!: i'll get the floor up and check it out

Sponsored Links
Robster_1981 said:
The fan needs replacing, and following the fault diagnosis methods in the manual, the circuit board is also faulty. Having said that, it hasn't gone wrong in the two years we've been here and i'm pretty sure it's about 10 years old (it's a 24CDi RSF)

My dad can fit the new boiler so we figured we may as well spend the extra money and get a brand new boiler as what's to say that if we put a new circuit board in, it wont still be faulty

P.s. the symptom of the problem is that we only get hot water with the central heating on
I think you are crazy if you have a 24CDi to actually want to replace it with a cheap boiler!
Sure they have issues like every other boiler on the market but get it fixed even in the unlikely event of the PCB being faulty.

Stan

pannierstan said:
Robster_1981 said:
The fan needs replacing, and following the fault diagnosis methods in the manual, the circuit board is also faulty. Having said that, it hasn't gone wrong in the two years we've been here and i'm pretty sure it's about 10 years old (it's a 24CDi RSF)

My dad can fit the new boiler so we figured we may as well spend the extra money and get a brand new boiler as what's to say that if we put a new circuit board in, it wont still be faulty

P.s. the symptom of the problem is that we only get hot water with the central heating on
I think you are crazy if you have a 24CDi to actually want to replace it with a cheap boiler!
Sure they have issues like every other boiler on the market but get it fixed even in the unlikely event of the PCB being faulty.

Stan

I do see your point, but my reasoning behind it is that we may spend X amount of money replacing the fan and PCB only to find that we still get no hot water, and before you know it, it can be up to the price of a new boiler

Sponsored Links
Repair it!... or get an engineer on a no fix no fee basis who will.

A very very good boiler.

Worcester offer excellent customer service aswell. Be no harm in phoning them first.

I fix boilers, I dont install them though.

I lover repairing Worcesters though, as it rarely happens, and when it does its a joy.

David

soggy, your the only engineer i know who likes replacing a diverter valve on a 28 cdi.

Me again :rolleyes:

So, after being told that we have a top class boiler, i've seen sense and decided to repair it.

Two questions:
Where is best to buy the parts? (Fan and PCB)
I've noticed a small water drip from the underside of the boiler, just below the water-water heat exchanger. All we have done to it is open the filling loop to increase the pressure slightly as it was only reaching 1 bar. Could this have caused the leak?

Thanks for all the help :)

Problem found, I hope!

Spoke to Worcester's technical helpline, and they assure me the diverter valve is at fault. The pin that operates the micro switch is not moving out far enough when taps are turned on, and if you operate the switch manually...hey presto, the boiler fires up for hot water.

I've been told that the diaphragm can be repalced and due to cost, i'm leaning towards this. Is that wise?

My dad still thinks i should just get a new boiler, but i think thats way over the top

Robster_1981 said:
Agile said:
Its a very common mistake to resuse old gas supply pipes without calculating the sizes actually required.

Firstly, old boilers are usually much lower power than their replacements!

What if the new boiler has the same specs as the old? (same 24kw and flow rate etc)

Thats the problem! A DIYer assumes that because its existing its not necessary to bother to correctly size the gas pipe for the new boiler.

If you dont calculate the correct size then how do you know that the original was correct?

I have already explained this to you earlier but you dont seem to have taken it on board!

Tony

Agile said:
Thats the problem! A DIYer assumes that because its existing its not necessary to bother to correctly size the gas pipe for the new boiler.

If you dont calculate the correct size then how do you know that the original was correct?

I have already explained this to you earlier but you dont seem to have taken it on board!

Tony

I was just trying to get it straight in my head, not being funny.

I'm swaying towards repair now anyway as i didn't realise that this was a pretty good boiler.

Yes, we have all told you your Worcester is a fairly reliable boiler if the system water is clean.

The PCbs rarely fail so I would be surprised if that were faulty.

It seems to me that you need a competent engineer to correctly diagnose the real fault(s).

Tony

Yes Worcesters are a pain to work on. But I enjoy the challenge.

Just like I enjoy gasket changes on a 30 year old bbu.

Look at it this way...

Boiler drained and in the garden. Sun on my back...packed lunch at the ready.

People repair and refurbish old cars. Why? Because their worth the time and effort spent.

Thats how I view old boilers.

Another customer for me as Ive helped them out. Yes it costs 200 - 300 quid but compare that to a new install.

Then Ill service it for another 10 years until major repairs are required again.

Good business in my sense

David

Yes soggy you are quite correct in your attitude to old boilers ;)

I personally do not like all the time involved and hassle in doing this, so I am very glad engineers like you exist to take these types of jobs off my hands if the customer wants the repair route :)

Robster_1981 said:
Problem found, I hope!

Spoke to Worcester's technical helpline, and they assure me the diverter valve is at fault. The pin that operates the micro switch is not moving out far enough when taps are turned on, and if you operate the switch manually...hey presto, the boiler fires up for hot water.

Same thing happened to same boiler in my last house. Hot water didn't always come on, I found that the pin was moving out firmly but not quite far enough to operate the microswitch reliably.

I cut a thin strip of scrap plastic and dropped in between the switch and pin. Worked a treat, left it and forgot about it until you reminded me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back