Competent person?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hear people on this forum saying you dont have to be Corgi registered to work with gas, if it is in your own home, as long as you are "competent". Can anyone give a definitive legal description of competent to work with gas, own home or not. Thanks.

Ps I am only interested in competent to work with gas not in a description of the word competent.

Sponsored Links
As far as the gas regs go a competant person is someone who has undergone training and assesment as per the ACS (approved creditation scheme)

But I really advice you dont even think or consider doing your own gas work in any form what so ever

Is it legal to do DIY work on gas?

In short, yes it is, but only if you are competent to do so.

So how is competence judged? You are to be your own judge of whether you are competent or not, but should some catastrophe result from your work, then it would seem clear that you were not competent and should not have tackled the work. That could leave you vulnerable to legal action (assuming you were still alive).
Regulation 3 (1) effectively says that anyone who works on gas must be competent. Regulation 3 (3) effectively says that anyone who is rewarded for gas work (in money or otherwise) must be registered with CORGI. The guidance notes published along with the laws state that level of competence must match the work being done.

I don’t think there has been a legal ruling yet on precisely what competence means in regard to DIY gas fitting, but for professionals it means they have the knowledge, experience and exam passes in the relevant aspects of gas fitting. There are dozens of exam categories covering domestic, commercial, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), and more exotic gas fitting skills.

Opinions vary amongst DIYers as to the range of gas work they may undertake. The HSE and CORGI are unsurprisingly keen to stress that gas work should be done by competent people. It is my belief that the law is really aimed at eradicating the unregistered professionals whose motivation is their pocket and for whom public safety and customer satisfaction are at best secondary. Incompetent DIY gas fitting is inevitably unstoppable (for instance, I once saw a photo of a home made boiler). The HSE state that the majority of fatal gas incidents occur to the old, the poor, students, and those in rented housing. The regulations specifically try to address this situation.

Nice one bob

much more comprehensive than my answer, but it is sunday morning :)

Sponsored Links
I do understand the duties on employers to make sure that anyone they employ to work on gas is registered with the appropriate body, it was from the diy er's point of view I wanted the lowdown.

PS I passed my ACS theory exams last week and have my practicals all next week.

Regards

Bob's reply is good but not quite right. Regulation 3 (3) says, in effect, that no self-employed person shall carry out gas work unless Corgi registered. It doesn't specifically say that the self-employment itself should normally involve gas work. A self-employed electrician, for example, cannot carry out gas work (unless Corgi registered), even if competent.

It's not clear to me whether this applies permanently (24/7) or only during their normal working hours. If the former, even a competent (but non-registered) self-employed person would be breaking the law if carrying out gas work, even on their own house. If the latter, who is to say what a self-employed persons normal working hours are?

Some people have suggested that it hinges on whether one is paid for the gas fitting work or not, but that is not what the regs say, nor is that enforceable. A non-registered plumber could then just claim that any gas work was done free-of-charge and that payment was for other aspects of a job.

Sadly the law is not at all clear and there is no legal definition of competence. In practice it's a question of whether you might be prosecuted for lacking competence which would have to be based on specific examples of incompetent installation.

Law drives me mad as it is always open to interpretation and precident

no black and white in any law just different shades of grey

I know this is an old thread, but was searching for ACS and found this

Is it possible to take the ACS exams without going on a training course (e.g. just self learn and then book the exams yourself?) If so, how do you book the exams... ive googled it and come up a croppa

also how much we talking just to book the exam (I don't need training, just want to take the exam and that's it)

Last edited:
If you don't have the brain to Google ACS prices then you have no chance.

What ACS do you have in mind? As it happens I am up for my 5th renewal in the next few months. Perhaps you would like to visit the land of the civilised and house trained and take your with me?

If you don't have the brain to Google ACS prices then you have no chance.

What ACS do you have in mind? As it happens I am up for my 5th renewal in the next few months. Perhaps you would like to visit the land of the civilised and house trained and take your with me?
Look it's obvious you don't like me; so let's just avoid each other. I wont reply to your questions and you don't reply to mine. I'm too old to be involved with internet dramas.

Look it's obvious you don't like me

You think highly of yourself. I have no feelings towards you personally one way of the other.

I do however find you very amusing.

I am happy to answer sensible questions. Even from the likes of JohnD, Bernardgreen and Joe90 all of whom I consider either senile, disturbed or plain stupid. To be honest the allocation of each feeling can vary depending on the level of nonsense they post at any one time. Bernard, bless him is like Mr Hailsham.... well meaning and more informed than most, but still waaaay out there when it comes to actually having a clue.

My questions to you remain the same and are perfectly sensible.... I plan to use a place in Welwyn Garden City if that helps your travel plans.......seriously.

BTW you need to have a portfolio and half a clue before taking ACS exams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back