Conduit light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to fit a cast metal light switch to a brick wall. There are no screws holes on the reverse so I assume its only support will be the conduit pipe that takes the wires and is screwed into the top of the switch.

This will be about a metre long and will need support from a couple of spacer bars. The wires simply run out of the ceiling so will the spacer bars be enough to support both the conduit and the light switch ?

Or is there another way of securing both the pipe and switch ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A cast metal light switch.

What is this, some relic of a thing?

If it doesn't have fixing holes, was it intended to be 'cemented in', like recessed boxes were years ago?

PICTURES.

Attachments

• WP_20171117_004.jpg
    WP_20171117_004.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 169
  • WP_20171117_005.jpg
    WP_20171117_005.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 146
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I don't think spacer bar saddles will hold the conduit firmly enough if the switch box isn't secure.

Crampets may hold the conduit better though, and look all rustic/old fashioned/whatever effect you are trying to achieve.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes it a repro outer casting so you may be right. I will try drill a couple of holes in the back and fix it to the brick wall then use the crampets to hold the pipe Thanks

Yes it a repro outer casting so you may be right. I will try drill a couple of holes in the back and fix it to the brick wall then use the crampets to hold the pipe Thanks

Since you can drill and therefore fix the back box, you will be fine with ordinary saddles.

C'mon guys - in terms of conduit threading, you could probably hang an elephant from them.

As long as the conduit drop to the switch is restrained from waving about in any direction I'm sure that whatever it is screwed into at the top will withstand the weight of the conduit and the switch. Drill holes in it and water will get in.

I presume it is going on an inside brick wall, so water unlikely to be a problem.

That doesn't look like cast, that looks like a galv conduit box which can easily be drilled.
It says that it is cast aluminium, which seems quite credible to me (and which can be drilled even more easily than galvanised steel).
Looks metric so not old old.
It also said that it is new (made to order) and compliant with BS EN60669-1.

Kind Regards, John

It says that it is cast aluminium, which seems quite credible to me (and which can be drilled even more easily than galvanised steel).
I think the box is a standard off the shelf steel end box - it appears to say "MALLEABLE" on the back. The switch plate may well be ali, but that's almost irrelevant as long as it's a dry environment.

And for the OP - both the switch plate AND back box must be earthed, just needs a short connection between the earth terminal on the switch plate and the terminal in the box (in addition to connecting to the earth in the cable).

I think the box is a standard off the shelf steel end box -
Maybe they are lying but, as I said before, the listing says that it is cast aluminium and that it is 'made to order' (i.e. not 'off-the-shelf') ...

upload_2017-11-25_0-13-17.png

Kind Regards, John

It's a cast aluminium plate with a switch mounted in it. Supplied with a standard galvanised cast iron conduit box.
The plate and switch are made to order. The box is a standard item.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back