Controversial

Rogue , won't be happy until Madam Merkel is President , living at No10. He'll not rest until we're all driving on the right.. ;) ;)

I already drive on the right....most of the time.
Oh and my visits to Germany have been most enjoyable. I wouldn't hestitate to settle in Germany, but alas my linguistic skills don't stretch that far. And I admit that climate was a major factor in my consideration to move. Germany, of course, Bavaria especially, which would be most preferable place to relocate, enjoys hot summers but colder and slightly longer winters.

I am also worried about the rise of popularity of Marie le Pen which has mirrored the similar rise in Farage's popularity.
Marie le Pen also represents a significant shift of support to the right, although she's slightly left of her father who wanted to abolish immigration completely. :?: Marie le Pen wants to reduce immigration in France. But there's no hint of withdrawal from EU.

So for years thee's been a contest between the major parties about who can gain and hold the centre ground (in both UK and France) and now there's a noticable shift to the far right (in both countries).

Interestingly, Angela Merkel represents a right-of-centre position also in her liberal-conservative party. Although her party is currently govening in an alliance with the left-of-centre party (Social-Democrats). Any alliances with any extremist parties have been dismissed. Angela Merkel, of course is very much pro EU, although she has argued for improved/increased integration of immigrants.

Maybe, Nigel Farage has been even less honest than I give him credit for. Maybe he's hijacking the anti-immigration sentiment and exploiting it to bolster his aspirations of withdrawal from EU.

Sponsored Links
I have to go now (horn blowing duties)
HE'S A TAXI DRIVER.

Either that or he's qu**r. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Why did you ask? Was it that you thought you'd make that suggestion because you consider it as some kind of insult, just like EFLuence's suggestion that I'm a taxi driver.
Your prejudices are on display again and you weren't even aware of it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Nigel Farage has stated his homophobic views already.
Is that why he's gained your support? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A fair, true and accurate point is just that; regardless of who or where it came from. To that end, I'll give such recognition and respect irrespective of who or where it comes from, no matter how I feel about the poster, but that's just me...

A very fair comment, BT, one that I would be hard pressed to disagree with, in its simplistic form.
However, truth often depends on one's perspective. Consider the simple analogy of the round/square block. Perspective is everything.
Also, one should always have at the back of one's mind:
"who is saying what, and why are they saying it?"
I think that it is even more important with politicians than with any other 'profession'.
A politician can be relied on for one attribute: to use facts, figures, and perceived truths to their advantage, as and when it's advantageous to do so.
Also, when a politician argues a point, I've learned that they'll utilise argumentum ad absurdum all too frequently and the little of what I've read and seen of the debate, Nigel Farge is a master of its use.

Sponsored Links
Back