Convert fused connection unit (FCU) back to normal socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just moved into a new flat and there are two storage heaters. Both heaters are connected to a FCU socket. They are supposed to charge energy during the economy 7 period; however, I found out that they both connected to the wrong socket and charging heat when I switch them on. I only realise this happen when I recevied my last quarter electricity as I switched them on 24 hours a day.

I want to install a time switch to both heaters, so that they can charge energy during nighttime. I just wondering that can I convert the FCU switch back to normal socket and install a 3-legged plug to the heater? so that I can connect them with a digital timer.

Park

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to ask, are either of the heaters in a bathroom?

Sorry forgot to ask, are either of the heaters in a bathroom?

Mark, thanks for your reply. They are not for bathroom.

In addition i think the 7 Day Fused Spur Timer is too expensive. If it is safe to do so, I will convert the FCU to a normal socket switch as it is much cheaper. I just wondering what is the difference between FCU and a normal socket switch?

nope, that is a MCB, an RCD is very different, a MCB protects against overload and short circuits, a RCD protects against earth leakage.

nope, that is a MCB, an RCD is very different, a MCB protects against overload and short circuits, a RCD protects against earth leakage.

Does the original FCU have RCD protection? In addition both the socket switch and the plug for heater are earthed. Why I need the RCD protection for the socket switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back