cordless drill question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience of using wickes 'professional' cordless drills. The specs looks good, but how do they match up to dewalt etc..?

Sponsored Links
Most so called 'professional' tools are just better than normal DIY models.
Very few professional would use such tools except as an easily obtained throw away tool.
Once broken throw it away as it cant be repaired, at least not worth repairing as the repair cost is often more than the tool.
This is why they are so cheap.
They are imported complete with no backup service.

ellal said:
Does anyone have experience of using wickes 'professional' cordless drills. The specs looks good, but how do they match up to dewalt etc..?

ive had a wickes 16.8v cordless for 18 months, used it almost everyday, never broken down and i cant fault it it all, all for £45.00.

Sponsored Links
I use a Nu Tool 30v cordless & have had no probs it's a great drill, as you say though it is a throw away. thing is even if i get through 3 of these it's still cheaper than buying Dewalt, & I get 2 spare batteries & a charger when I replace it.

go to ebay buy a dewalt, second hand or imported, get 2 decent 3 amp batteries and your set for life with a drill that does what you want it to and more.
You get what you pay for, i worked my way up through the various diy throw away, and so called professional ranges and was always dissapointed. I always think that any product that has to have a big label on it saying professional is a big clue as to exactly what it isnt!

Thermo said:
go to ebay buy a dewalt, second hand or imported, get 2 decent 3 amp batteries and your set for life

I once bought a 2nd hand dewalt and the gears broke after about 2 months. :(

I found a Dewalt drill in the skip at work once, being the type who will strip anything to find out what's wrong I took it home. After I stripped it I found the gears were knackered, a quick trip to a Dewalt agent & I found out why it was in a skip.... 130 quid for a gearbox!!!!!. They might last longer than a cheapie but they're still throw away when they go wrong.

tells you something about the build quality if its 130!

Don't know if they are still the same but my first "proper " cordless was a dewalt it kept slipping after I had only had it about a year so took it apart to see if it was anything I could fix and found it had stripped the plastic (yes plastic gears) never bought another dewalt again.

Prefer Makita myself, used my first one for about 8 yrs without a problem.

i think the main point is you pay your money and take your choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back