Cost of food/a meal

I live alone (for the moment), just me and the dog. I've never really had the need to learn to cook more than a quick fry up, but I am learning. I usually have one cooked meal per day, rarely bothering with any breakfast, but usually having some sort of extra snack. I used to have a lot of 'ready meals', but I'm gradually having more and more of my home cooking, though I tend to eat out once or twice per week.
You need to prepare for the possibility of you eating your dog.

When the SHTF in (approx) Nov / Dec, that will be an option for very many people.

Sponsored Links
As an alternative to spag bol, try Nigellas lamb ragu

I substitute standard brown onion for spring.

Fray Bentos meat pies used to be good.
Getting the tin open was a job in itself.
I broke 2 tin openers trying to get the lid off, i finally got it off using one of them old type stab tin openers.
The pie inside was rubbish, nothing like they used to be.

Sponsored Links
Most of what we eat is what I call 'fresh food'. i.e. All veg is bought from a local farm or farm shop/greengrocers,

The small amounts and infrequency of use, means I find it best to buy it in packets, frozen. Then I just take as much or as little as I need for a meal. I have begun to buy fresh meat for some meals - local high street butcher is very expensive, whereas the butcher in a local town is much cheaper and does special deals, so I buy there and freeze at home.
The only Fray Bentos pie I liked was the minced beef & onion. Plenty of gravy and not dry like the steak & kidney one.
Steak and kidney was the one I sought out, I especially like kidney.

The meat content of Fray Bentos pies has been greatly reduced. I bought some during lockdown and they are awful now. There are lots of online reviews saying so. The brand name was sold on and is now owned by Baxters in UK since 2011 who cheapened the product.

I happened to have some of the old empty tins in the shed, useful for degreasing oily parts, looked underneath at the ingredients list and meat content used to be something like double what it is now.

The brand name is owned by some other company in Australia and they still make proper tinned pies to the original recipe.

The meat content of Fray Bentos pies has been greatly reduced. I bought some during lockdown and they are awful now. There are lots of online reviews saying so. The brand name was sold on and is now owned by Baxters in UK since 2011 who cheapened the product.

Yep, I used to keep a few on the shelf, as standbys. Back then they could be had for a pound, in the pound shops. Now I see them priced at £2 and the meat filling is almost none existent - not worth the effort of opening the tins any more. I always assumed Baxters was one of the better brands?

Chicken soup always make me laugh:

ingredients: chicken (2%), everything else 98%

I see the Sainbury's steak pie (not in a tin) says

INGREDIENTS: British Beef (33%),

Sponsored Links
Back