any decent recepies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need some good recepies now that I finally have a hob to cook on..
no more microwave meals or oven chips...

I did some bollognese today.. had some from mom's frozen in the freezer for a while now.. but no way to cook the pasta..

I fancy something similar but with chicken.. can you make bollognese with chicken chunks instead of minced beef?

Sponsored Links
I'm not much of a cook but, when you get to the bit that says throw the beef in the pan, don't do it. Throw the chicken in instead.

Bread in toaster, Beans in pan on hob (or microwave if you're me!), 3 minutes later... a meal! tadda!

SNF06CC1_682_573723a.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not much of a cook but, when you get to the bit that says throw the beef in the pan, don't do it. Throw the chicken in instead.

never cooked it before myself either, but I'm pretty sure that the beef goes in first.. browned in a little olive oil next the onions ( with the mushrooms if you like them ) and then add the tomatos and whatever else goes in..

Might sound off putting but its delicious:

Boil some saffron rice in a saucepan, when the water starts to boil add some frozen blocks of coley (frozen works best)

when the rice has absorbed the water the coley should also be cooked

Break the coley up into the rice leaving it in large chunks

Then and this is the best bit and adds tremendous flavour to it, add a fair bit of tomato ketchup stirring it all in

It sounds awful but youll be surprised how tasty and filling it is.

also works with plain rice

Boil some saffron rice in a saucepan, when the water starts to boil add some frozen blocks of coley (frozen works best)

when the rice has absorbed the water the coley should also be cooked

Break the coley up into the rice leaving it in large chunks

Add a couple of teaspoons of garam masala and a chopped up boiled egg and you've got version of kedgeree, you could also add some cream or knob of butter.

what's coley?

Coley is a fish.

Try this one, slice potatoes (8mm thick) and onions (3-4mm thick) layer in saucepan, add raw sausages another layer of spuds and onions, lot of pepper, top up with water, simmer for an hour or so. Serve with HP sauce.

A really warming dish for a cold winters day.

oh you mean pollock? why did they change the name?

oven's not in yet so I'm looking for something I can do on the hob..

I'm thinking some "sizzle 'n' stir" korma for tonight...

Coley used to be sold for cats. It's a perfectly good fish - nice flavour, but when raw has an unappealing grey colour. Fine when cooked.

If you promise you won't eat it the evening before going on a car journey with other people, or on public transport, I'll give you a recipe for sprout curry... :eek:

I'm thinking some "sizzle 'n' stir" korma for tonight...
Don't buy those - they are a ludicrously expensive way to buy mostly water, tomatoes, onions and flour.

If you know there are some you like, look at the major ingredients and make your own.

When you get your oven back, here's a quick'n'easy one.

Mix plain yogurt with garam masala, a bit of turmeric, (and at your discretion chilli powder or cayenne pepper, depending on if/how hot you want), and crushed garlic.

Take chicken breasts and slice lengthways into pieces about the size of a couple of fingers, or the size of the little fillets that are sometimes loosely attached to the underside.

Jab them all over with a fork, stir them into the yogurt mix so they are all covered, and leave to marinate for at least an hour or two.

Heat the oven to the max, scoop out the chicken strips and lay them on a wire rack sitting on a baking tray, and bung them in for 5-10 minutes.

Serve with rice (and sprout curry :LOL: )

Come on then BAS, lets hear your sprout curry. I know most if not all here will be thinking it sounds weird (I do), but I must admit I'm curious... it killed the cat you know! No! not BAS' sprout curry... mind you!

Sponsored Links
Back