Could Brexit create new manufacturing.

If we're such a rubbish nation sinking to the bottom (I can see dopey John copying that) why are the EU so worried about losing its biggest customer that contributes more than 14 other EU countries COMBINED. The haters are right, it is a sinking ship. Not us, the EU.
BTW, how are the youth unemployment rates going over there? Luckily, due to free movement ending OUR wages won't be stagnating anymore. Along with covid. It's the perfect time to leave the EUtanic, eh Elle.
You can just sense the realisation hitting home... Germany are seriously worried about losing our custom just when they need it.
The haters posts are getting more & more nasty & desperate. We must be doing something right.
Roll on 2021. A year of opportunitys

We're going to have to change our ways soon, because we're basically bankrupt and floating on a sea of debt, personal and government. Any of our top industries have been picked off and sold to the highest foreign bidders. We don't actually make much any more, and some of the industries we are actually still good at and parcipate in are really struggling, like aircraft manufacture. We haven't got long for a complete change, and have to hope that business confidence doesn't completely evaporate while we're sorting ourselves out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apprenticeships and on the job training vanished because our manufacturing went abroad.Minus the EU we can re- start manufacturing....Sorted.

Please don't conflate EU membership with manufacturing going abroad

Problems in manufacturing in this country are the direct result of domestic policies.....mostly the muppets you voted for,

Well we're going to have to change our ways soon, because we're basically bankrupt and floating on a sea of debt, personal and national. Any of our top industries have been picked off and sold to the highest foreign bidders. We don't actually make much any more, and some of the industries we are actually still good at and parcipate in are really struggling, like aircraft manufacture. We haven't got long for a complete change, and have to hope that business confidence doesn't completely evaporate while we're sorting ourselves out.

Your turning into Notch..............:notworthy:

Sponsored Links
Which boilers do you recommend - large domestic property.

Or you can't go wrong with any of the big three? Viessmaan, Vaillant or WB?

Who is giving a 12 year warranty?

Viessman - OK but full of plastic $sh1te
Vaillant - were the best, but not what they used to be
WB - overpriced, difficult to service and full of leaky, cheap plastic components. Parts are cheap, just as well because you will need plenty of them.

Intergas boilers all the way. quality brass and copper internals, only 4 moving parts and simple, proven reliable technology.

Last edited:
I think blue collar workers are undervalued.

Tradesmen for example, electricians, carpenters, builders, heating engineers - all require high levels of skill and knowledge, all I would say equivalent to a degree.
I agree that skills are undervalued, but i don't think highly skilled tradesmen should be considered to be equivalent to a degree.

A degree nowadays is not the qualification it used to be. It still is in technical subjects like engineering, chemistry or maths etc, but there are many 'soft' subjects that drag the down the perception of the standard of attainment that a degree used to represent.

I personally think there should be a trade qualification that represents a level of skill that is recognised at similar level as a degree used to represent and should be something that people aspire to earn and be recognised for having. People have a perception of what having a degree means, but who knows what an nvq level 5 represents and why is it a lower level of attainment to a degree?

Please don't conflate EU membership with manufacturing going abroad

Problems in manufacturing in this country are the direct result of domestic policies.....mostly the muppets you voted for,
what decade and political party are we talking about?

Totally agree...

Got a degree (when it costed nothing), but the most valued bit over my years in the real world was gleaned from the practical education in a 'tech college' module ...

Sadly now education is big business, and academic 'skills' are replacing on the job knowledge...

In many other European countries they seem to have got the balance a bit better, and education is more of a right and a benefit to a country. Not seen as a 'cash cow' mentality that exists in the UK!

It's going to come back and bite the UK in the bum big time, especially with what is looming shortly!
Agree or not, this government's investment in apprentices will bring benefits.

I currently have double the number of apprentices that have started this year to previous years as a result of the financial incentives and the promoting of apprenticeships meaning that there has been a larger than normal number of motivated and able younger people applying.

We took 6 apprentices on in September and had over 100 applications for the positions. We normally take on 3 and struggle to find decent candidates.

I agree that skills are undervalued, but i don't think highly skilled tradesmen should be considered to be equivalent to a degree.

A degree nowadays is not the qualification it used to be. It still is in technical subjects like engineering, chemistry or maths etc, but there are many 'soft' subjects that drag the down the perception of the standard of attainment that a degree used to represent.

I personally think there should be a trade qualification that represents a level of skill that is recognised at similar level as a degree used to represent and should be something that people aspire to earn and be recognised for having. People have a perception of what having a degree means, but who knows what an nvq level 5 represents and why is it a lower level of attainment to a degree?
won’t happen , people won’t pay the going rate for such qualifications when a pole or romanian or some berk who works part time in tesco will do the ‘same’ job for peanuts.
as time passes the lowest level of ‘acceptable’ workmanship and accepted standards is sinking lower.
people would rather pay peanuts for something that will do , rather than a decent price for a decent job.

In my experience and area, large scale closure of manufacturing plant happened mainly in the eighties & nineties, now its small scale niche factories that are left

Viessman - OK but full of plastic $sh1te
Vaillant - were the best, but not what the used to be
WB - overpriced, difficult to service and full of leaky, cheap plastic components.

Intergas boilers all the way. quality brass and copper internals, only 4 moving parts and simple, proven reliable technology.

I thought a big downside of Intergas boilers were the slug of hot water that comes out if you have the rads on and turn the water on?

What about ATAG?

won’t happen , people won’t pay the going rate for such qualifications when a pole or romanian or some berk who works part time in tesco will do the ‘same’ job for peanuts.
as time passes the lowest level of ‘acceptable’ workmanship and accepted standards is sinking lower.
people would rather pay peanuts for something that will do , rather than a decent price for a decent job.

You can apply that logic to IT services and the outsourcinng to India.

Yes and its generally the young desperate foreigners who have suffered.

Yes and no. It must be better over here for them, otherwise they wouldn't come in large numbers. At least they can help their families by sending much needed money home. Not great for Brit workers though. Always thought that the minimum wage was introduced because they knew we would be flooded with cheap, willing labour and it may be a race to the bottom with wages. Min wage ensured the level wouldn't drop too far.

I thought a big downside of Intergas boilers were the slug of hot water that comes out if you have the rads on and turn the water on?

What about ATAG?

My brother has Intergas and not experienced that. Wouldn't affect you anyway if you're having heat only/system boiler with stored hot water. Don't know about Atag. Storage combis from Vaillant and Viessmann seem to be rated for larger houses/more bathrooms but I have no experience with them.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/ecotec-plus-combination-store-1152.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back