Covid 19: what symptoms would make you ask to be tested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The covid 19 symptoms seem pretty general.

There must be loads of people with coughs and colds.

At what point would you decided: I think I should get tested

Sponsored Links
For me, I suffer from colds etc very little.....my immunity system should be pretty strong after 35 years in a classroom.
However, I've never suffered from chest congestion / wheezing / catarrh so if that appears I know its unusual.
Still unsure about my cruise in August - wish I'd never booked it, but like everything else 'we'll just have to see'.
John :)

I suppose, if your breathing becomes more laboured than usual.
If we all went to the medics for every runny nose, sore throat, or being a bit "under the weather", the country would grind to a halt.

Sponsored Links
That may well be correct John, but I do feel that my system has served me well and continues to do so.
4 days sickness in 35 years (plus 5 days off when Ma died) ain't a bad record!

Strictly speaking, although immunity decreases with age, older people get fewer colds.
That's because there are about 100 cold viruses, and kids get a lot of colds. Once you've has a particular cold, you're way less susceptible to it. So as you age, the "available" colds are fewer in number
But with covoid 19, you're in it with the rest. (Although kids seem to survive it better)

The covid 19 symptoms seem pretty general.

There must be loads of people with coughs and colds.

At what point would you decided: I think I should get tested

Well the Algorithm the NHS was using initially set a very high bar, you had to have visited a list of infected countries and only certain regions which meant many people did not have the test when it would have been prudent they did.

Idiotic tepid response from the Government who wanted to spin this incident - if you test less you keep the numbers artificially low. We have tested about 22k cases at a rate of about 1500 a day -we don't test on the weekends. In comparison South korea has tested over 160k.

The Government first asked GP's to take a nurse out of their daily routine to do the testing which they obviously refused- they were not giving them any extra funded to do so. They then dropped out pods (poracabins) outside hospitals for people to go and get tested if they meet the criteria. Then they decided to have drive through testing. Still thet did not provide any extra resources until late last week in extra equipment.

The Government response has been pathetic. They are now moving from containment to delay phase. If they aggressively targted people and expanded early rapid testing and focused on quaranteening people earlier the spread would have been less. But as you know we do not have the spare hospital capacity - we would need to set up isolation wards when we barely can spare any beds.

The whole issue thus far has been an exercise in spin. They quickly reversed the decsion to go from daily to weekly reporting after health professionals made noise. Despicable behaviour and response and the people most exposed will be health professionals. To top it off they asked retired health professionals to come back - the response of the professionals was this was a cynincal move by the Government to expose them to a virus so they would get to take a few people off their pensions.

Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Coronavirus will highlight two major issues - you need a public health service and labour laws that protect everyone.

You omitted the pertinent one - lockdown.

I think your missing the point perhaps. Lockdowns are specific and short lived. The outbreak highlights how those countries with an integrated public health system and labour laws have better tools to react to such situations.
And now.....
The Government response has been pathetic. They are now moving from containment to delay phase. If they aggressively targted people and expanded early rapid testing and focused on quaranteening people earlier the spread would have been less.

Like I said in the first place.

And now.....

Like I said in the first place.

The lockdown is actually a failure. Its recognition that the spread is now out of control and it requires drastic measures. The impact on the econmy of a lockdown is far more than the impact of an agressive policy that the Government should have done.

The Italians have lost control as Salvini et al were too busy blaming immigrants for the spread and trying to make political capital.

Bojo does not want to take ownersip of this issue because then he will be responsible. He thnks he can hide away like he did in the Fridge or visit flood hit areas weeks late only to be heckled. He is more interested in managing the spin than concerted action.

Quarantining individual people is far better than a full regional or location lockdown. Lockdown which you favour is by defintion a loss of control.

Last edited:
There is a golden time - a small window of opportunity when Governments can act and reduce the overall impact.

For me, I suffer from colds etc very little.....my immunity system should be pretty strong after 35 years in a classroom.
However, I've never suffered from chest congestion / wheezing / catarrh so if that appears I know its unusual.
Still unsure about my cruise in August - wish I'd never booked it, but like everything else 'we'll just have to see'.

Fellow, hard as nails northerner, never off sick, probably coz I don't get paid if I wimp off. (Ok, I did have a day off in December, but that was only because I had a slight issue in standing upright without passing out)

Sponsored Links
Back