Covid Swindlers

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
I'm sure we've all heard of covid spivs...

Maybe some on here have engaged in a 'virus' swindle?
Don't think so. Haven't heard of anyone on this site getting government contracts because of who they know in the government. Possibly been a few furlough/SEISS swindlers on here though - it is a DIY site populated mainly by self-employed tradespeople with a few mystery members who, for reasons known only to themselves, steadfastly refuse to ask or offer DIY advice or divulge what their actual occupation or field of expertise is. I understand the forms were a nightmare so some S/E people may have claimed in error - I'm sure their accountants will let them know when it comes time to submit their accounts. Fortunately I didn't have to claim for any of those payments - I just left it in the hands of the accountants employed by our company who know all about that sort of stuff. I can imagine the SEISS claims were awkward though because accountants weren't allowed to claim on behalf of the self employed and all claims had to be submitted personally. You would know that if you had any financial nous about you but of course, you don't.

Last edited:
On the first example, some sort of windfall tax would be appropriate.

They have been used in the UK once but they have their complications. In the case mentioned I'd be inclined to blame who ever sorted the contract out with them. That is assuming there was one. There will have been some capital investment needed. That needs to be recovered. Once it has providing the gear needed hasn't worn out prices should fall on items like these.

That's how I see it anyway but I feel the whole Gov's tendering system as flawed. They need people who really do understand the sphere they are dealing with or at least can look at the various costs in detail while checking that they are realistic. Tenderers can group together as well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My view is the government had to rush to get whatever they could in place. As it turned out some of the gambles paid off big time (vaccinations and covid drugs). I would never have imagined a conservative government paying people for over a year at the tax payers expense. I didn't gain a penny from any of these schemes and I'm happy to pay my fair share of taxes.

Back