Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, looking to buy this as my first home, and on the homebuyers report the surveyor mentioned;

Some repairs are required to the wall surfaces including spalled brickwork and repairs are required.
The property has been affected by past structural movement, evidenced by cracking to wall surfaces. From a single inspection the movement appears to be long-standing and does not appear to be progressive.

He gave this a 3 rating.

Please see attached PDF with the cracks in question
Is this a problem, and should I walk away?

Attachments

• Cracked Brickwork Areas.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's normal, repairable relatively cheaply, and no reason not to buy.

You could try and get a reduction in the asking price to cover repairs, but no big deal if not. Say £500-£1000.

Hi Woody and Stuart45
Thank you very much for your input.
I managed to get some money off this morning thank you, and the seller did mention he has replaced the lentils and windows last year as they did bow slightly. So this has given me confidence that the problem will not persist.

One thing I noticed leaving the property today was, that 4 houses on the same street had witnesses of brickwork repair in the same area!?
Does that mean the gound could be the cause of subsidence? Or is it just the age of the lentils all failing.
They are Council houses from the 1930ish (not sure exactly).

Really appreciate are your wisdom and experience :)

Sponsored Links
It's more related to the age of the property, past building standards and components wearing out, rather than ground monument.

Hey guys, thank you again
I'm halfway through the purchase process on that house mentioned above.
I drove by today and noticed that the 5 properties opposite the house I'm looking to buy, have had some brickwork repairs done over the doors, but mainly windows.
I wanted to understand why that was, so I decided to ask here? and i attached 5 pictures.
Let me know your thoughts if you have any time. Thank you again

Attachments

• IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5775.jpeg
    IMG_5775.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5776.jpeg
    IMG_5776.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 120

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back