Customer from Hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
According to the media, there are many traders from hell, but where are the customers from that town? (Hell).
Customer refused to pay, since October 2007. took them to small claims, Monday this week had the hearing. They came with the solicitor and the barrister. It was only me. the bill was only about £700 (including VAT!) they counter claimed almost £5000 in about 6 different counts. I am pleased to say that they lost every single count, paid my bill and court fees.
I did not get to the details because it might not be interesting for most of the people. If any one had the same experience or waiting for a hearing or just would like to know how it works, I would be more than happy to share information and advice based on my limited knowledge but good experience.

Sponsored Links
I have had one, right little madam.

Sister of a friend, wanted a re-wire, wanted everything (spots & dimmers galore) wanted it cheap so gave her a really good price.

Arranged with her that she would plaster up chases and was based on the fact the property would be empty and she wanted it all done before christmas, started on the 12th December!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, got started 2 days later she filled the house with ALL her gear including cats that shat everywhere.

Carried on, after saying about empty property part, she denied this :rolleyes:

Then all of a sudden heating engineers arrive, installing entire new central heating and DRINKING BEER on the job (Mmmmmm Corgi would like to know)

Anyway get the feckin job near enough completed, mention to her I will be Inspecting, Testing and certifying in the next 2 days.

She mentions plastering, I refer her to our conversation, FLOODS OF TEARS 'I want to move in by christmas'.

Any way being TOO BLOODY NICE I spend until 11pm one night plastering up, only charge her for the plaster (Bloody idiot!!)

Notify, Certify, walk the bitch around each accessory to check she is happy, says she is, give her the bill. 23rd December

January 15th She phones and tells me there is a problem with the kitchen spots and she wont pay until they are fixed!!!!

Straight in the van check the lights ALL working cock on the stupid cow had left the dimmer turned right down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20th January she phones and says she has the payment will I come round and collect it. Arrive a socket is wonky!!!!

Technically off level by a micro degree!!!

Gives me an envelope £800 short!!! She says it is what we agreed.

I whip out the contract with her signature on it and the job specification and price attached, ask her to show me where the £800 of work is missing, she can't.

So I walk over to the CU power off, remove all the 32a and 6a MCB's put them in my pocket and tell her I will wait in the van for the £800.

30 minutes later she has it.

Then spends £3000 on a new bathroom 1.5metres square fitted by a polish chap who puts the whirlpool path pump under the bath without access :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So if you get a call from a ginger haired PCSO tell her to go **** herself

I will (with no names), just trying to make a long story short. Will finish writing it and than I will post it. I think that it is interesting because this was my first time in court, ever, and I had some good surprises.

Sponsored Links
When I was S/E, I had a guy ask me for a quote for 4 secondary telephone outlets. I quoted 20 quid each, asking him if a price of 80 for 4 of them was acceptable. "Fine," he said, "no problem."

Did the work. Asked for payment. "Can't you do it for £60?"

I said, "No. Are you going to pay me £80 for this work or not?"

Reply: "Can you do it for £60?"

So I took my snips to the cable I'd just installed. Severed in 12 places...

Do you know what he said next?

"What did you do that for?"

:rolleyes:

You know what? you cannot believe it until it happens to you. I never really had to go so far, to reverse my work. The problem is, I think, that if you do so, even you are right! in court you will loose ... and if they have the money they can take you to court for silly money and than it might really hurt, because even you could win it, the fact that you done so will not help you (legally). Although it gives you a great feel...

A timely reminder of the importance of getting things in writing - bet you are glad you did Oharaf. If there are any materials I can't use quickly elsewhere or if the job is over a certain amount (however well I know the customer) I always get some money up front and teh whole lot in writing.

This is the story in general, Because it is long I will get to the court story next time.

October 2007, young couple with a little boy (3), moved to a new house. I was recommended to them by the estate agent. Went to see them and spent almost 3 hours going around and listening to what they want/need.
-They said to me that according to the homecheck report the house needs to be rewired - my reply; may be needed may be partially or not at all, I will know only after I tested and done the inspection. I will tell you exactly what is needed. Just trying to save you money.
We want a new fuse box – I Looked at the CU , old re-wirable fuses out of 8, 3 had 3 circuit in each and 2 with 2 circuits + no RCD, it makes sense, I will do it.

First day, checking the pendant light fitting, as coming down from the platform I fail and suffered a broken rib, I am on the floor cannot breath and she is shouting repeatedly: "are you going to finish the work"!!??

Finally I stood up with a lot of pain and breathing difficulty and staid for more than an hour to make safe the bits I worked on, imagine working on the platform with a broken bone lifting your hands up. The doctor confirmed that I had a broken rib and it will take about 6 weeks until I will start to feel better. While working there she wanted to add a pendant light on the lounge ceiling, there was already one fitted, I said to her that I need access so I can pass the cable between the 2 lights, the problem is that I need to left the floor boards above, no way you cannot do that, I said the only option I have is to cut holes in the ceiling and if you are unlucky and the joists go the wrong direction I will have to make many holes, go ahead, are you sure? Yes! She was unlucky…

That week while in bed I had a phone call to say that they need me urgently, the upstairs light, the door bell and the bathroom fan and lights are not working - I said that I did nothing that could affect this (I worked downstairs) but probably the circuit was overloading and the fuse wire gone. They called in an electrician (?) that said that he will not charge for the job (changing the fuse wire) and offered them a special price for a PIR £1,000.00!!! plus he will do the rest of the work for a good price. Obviously he went on about how bad my work is etc...

I came back after a week still with pain and continued testing and when I had enough information I changed the CU with a metal clad 14 ways with 4 RCBOs (for 16th edition it was not required).
I worked the week-end (no extra charges). Sunday night I received a phone call to tell me that they do not want me to come back, I asked why, they did not complain even ones while I was working there, she did not reply.

Ok, I said I do not know who convinced you, in any case make sure that he is qualified and registered so you will have all the certificates and the council will be notified. All that I want is that you pay me for the work I have done. No problems bring back the keys and I will pay you.

Brought back the keys, and gave her the invoice, “I will talk to my husband and send you a check”, ok.

Few days passed, I called her and she said that she is not going to pay. I decided to take legal action.

In my claim I copied my quote and a letter I sent to her to explain the amount in the invoice.

Her counter claim could make any SCi-Fi writer blush. She claimed that she and her husband know nothing about electrics and I let them down with unprofessional and I showed lack of competence etc…
They, as well, called and wrote a letter to NAPIT to complain (this was waste of time).

Other complaints were made about 3 call outs: 1st was for a hot ring in an old gas hob, the switch to turn it on was broken and stuck I disconnected the supply, they already had a new one to fit and it was before I started to work there still was my fault. 2nd the heating downstairs was not working, they decided that this was the boiler and it is my fault, the plumber came and found that it was a blocked pipe. The lights downstairs gone, it was a light bulb that gone with the fuse, again my incompetence.

-They claimed that they had to change the front door lock as I might break-in (£300).
-They claimed that I damaged the ceiling and they had to fix it (£300).
-They claimed about £5000 for solicitors.
-They claimed that I demanded £1500 otherwise I will not give the keys back (is this what we call blackmail?).
-They claimed that I charged too much (just for example; I charged them £500+VAT for the metal clad CU with 4 RCBOs, £50 each at that time, extending all the cables to fit the new CU, test and inspection, bonding all inclusive; labour and parts).

I was really shocked to see all these, I wrote my defence and counter claim.

It's a real shame some people can be like this, but at least you got the right result in the end!

I don't want to high jack the post but I've got a customer from hell at the moment and they are making my blood boil.

Yell.com call from a local company saying they've lost all power to their offices which is on a farm.

After a brief conversation it sounded like the RCD on the incomer had tripped and would not re-set.

They urgently wanted someone on site to sort it as they had no PC and cold not work.

I quoted our normal call out rate + a rate/hour after the first hour. I explained that because they has a single RCD the fault could be anywhere and it could take sometime to find.

Our engineer arrived on site and it took him about an hour or so to find the fault. It turned out to be faulty ballast in a light fitting.

We quoted them for the cost of a replacement fitting and they agreed.

By the time he had collected one and fitted it, the total charge was 3 hours + material.

I invoiced the work in September and after chasing today I received this letter.

Please find enclosed a cheque for the sum of xxx in payment against your invoice number xxx.

This covers the call out and cost of the materials. We feel that the suggested time of 3hours on site to trace a faulty light fitting and install a new one in a very small office is unreasonable.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Rule of thumb signed job sheets emergency contracts for small works contracts for larger works deposit etc.

Written quote even on emergency hourly works.
Terms & Conditions on reverse.

Also handy in front of the customer instead of taking notes use a voice recorder as well then that way there is verbal back up.

Hint also even if you do damage this is no reason not to pay under law as you are insured......

I've been in business long enough to know the drill with new customers. However, as Albert has discovered, some of them think we're just a bit of **** on their shoes.

The thing is no matter how nice a customer is wolf in sheeps clothing.

No "private" jobs for family or friends take the price like it or leave it.

Even one customer stated that I made a racist remark, that he had CCTV with sound recording. Oh Dear not registerd with the ICO and highly ilegal to record sound.......

Dear ICO ......

I have had one, right little madam.

Sister of a friend, wanted a re-wire, wanted everything (spots & dimmers galore) wanted it cheap so gave her a really good price.

Arranged with her that she would plaster up chases and was based on the fact the property would be empty and she wanted it all done before christmas, started on the 12th December!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, got started 2 days later she filled the house with ALL her gear including cats that shat everywhere.

Carried on, after saying about empty property part, she denied this :rolleyes:

Then all of a sudden heating engineers arrive, installing entire new central heating and DRINKING BEER on the job (Mmmmmm Corgi would like to know)

Anyway get the feckin job near enough completed, mention to her I will be Inspecting, Testing and certifying in the next 2 days.

She mentions plastering, I refer her to our conversation, FLOODS OF TEARS 'I want to move in by christmas'.

Any way being TOO b****y NICE I spend until 11pm one night plastering up, only charge her for the plaster (b****y idiot!!)

Notify, Certify, walk the **** around each accessory to check she is happy, says she is, give her the bill. 23rd December

January 15th She phones and tells me there is a problem with the kitchen spots and she wont pay until they are fixed!!!!

Straight in the van check the lights ALL working cock on the stupid cow had left the dimmer turned right down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20th January she phones and says she has the payment will I come round and collect it. Arrive a socket is wonky!!!!

Technically off level by a micro degree!!!

Gives me an envelope £800 short!!! She says it is what we agreed.

I whip out the contract with her signature on it and the job specification and price attached, ask her to show me where the £800 of work is missing, she can't.

So I walk over to the CU power off, remove all the 32a and 6a MCB's put them in my pocket and tell her I will wait in the van for the £800.

30 minutes later she has it.

Then spends £3000 on a new bathroom 1.5metres square fitted by a polish chap who puts the whirlpool path pump under the bath without access :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So if you get a call from a ginger haired PCSO tell her to go f***** herself

OMG, I think I did some work for the same woman LOL.

She was a ginger haired PCSO, and an absolute bitch.

The job was booked for between 5 and 8pm, I waited around until 6pm and phoned my supervisor to advise of no access. Made a description of the door on my PDA and went on my merry way.

An hour later my supervisor is on the phone saying this woman had rung in complaining that I had not turned up. The woman said she had been waiting since 4pm and that her door bell was not working and that I had not knocked either. Well this got me furious, there was no door bell. Luckily I had been parked in front of the neighbours house and she had asked me to move my van a bit, I remembered what car she was driving and told my supervisor.

He got back to the woman and gave her this info, all of which she denied. She apparently demanded that I go back that evening to do the job, fat chance of that happening so it was booked the next day.

I turned up, she was in and to cut a long story short the problem was with her new TV not our equipment. I showed her how to work her new TV. Whilst chatting to her she mentioned she was a PCSO "and not to worry she was not a police officer", I asked why I should be worried, she said its just that some people get nervous when she mentions she works for the police, what a **** :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back