D lighted L drivers

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

Sigh! Nights drawing in now. Started off for home at 6.30 tonight lights on!
Notice though how many cars without lights in the twilight. I counted four learner driver cars (with pupils, ) without lights. Perhaps they were learning to be Taxi drivers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
People seem to think the lights are for them to see, & if they can see the road then they dont need lights.
What I want to know is how they see there instruments?
People also think having your lights on is costing ££.

confidentincompetent said:
Sigh! Nights drawing in now. Started off for home at 6.30 tonight lights on!

You're just trying to cheer us up now aren't you?

Sponsored Links
wedge69
General rule is you only need your lights on if the street lights are on....
Well you would fail your driving test.
Thats like saying only wear a seat belt when you are going to have a crash.

I was taught "when visibility is reduced, use your dipped headlights". That reduction in visibility can be rain, mist, twilight etc.

I have noticed a lot of people turn to sidelights in such events, but on many cars that offers no more than a faint glow, often on just one side!

Well we've only got abit less than a mile of concrete road here {the rest is a couple of miles of sandy track} so I'm not a regular driver but when ever we go to the mainland and hire a car we always have the lights on if visibility is not good, rain, fog, and stuff and don't they have their lights on all the time in sweden? and motor bikes.

No, motorcycles do not have to have their lights on, but I always ride on dipped beam because as all motorcyclists know, most car drivers are idiots and will try to kill you. :evil: :evil:

AdamW said:
I have noticed a lot of people turn to sidelights in such events, but on many cars that offers no more than a faint glow, often on just one side!
Isn't it illegal to use sidelights anytime apart from daylight?

I always put my headlights on when entering the tunnel since learning they do this in others countries, they even have road signs warning them to put the headlights on before entering the tunnel and switch off when exit during daylight.

Took me a while to find out why though :!:

Answer on a postcard please ;)

Diyisfun said:
People also think having your lights on is costing ££.

Doesn't cost pounds, but does add a little to fuel consumption and obviously a minute amount of WAT on the battery and alternator.

securespark

Doesn't cost pounds, but does add a little to fuel consumption and obviously a minute amount of WAT on the battery and alternator.
Was waiting for that, so how much does it cost to have your lights on?
Also are bulbs more prone to wear out or blow through being switched on?
Come on who is really bored

Not sure, but:
when you come from the bright out-side into a tunnel, your eyes need time to adjust. Switching on your lights helps with this.

Plus, it is a notorious fact that when driving in a (long) tunnel you automigical drop your speed the longer you're in the tunnel. The long Gothhard tunnel is famous for it, I heard (or read), but not sure if this is relevant for the answer.

Don't know about the costs, but assuming that the generator in a car is less efficient than a power station, but factoring out the need for a distribution network, I bet its something similar to having a couple of 10W lightbulbs on at home.

On your second point though, I used to drive in the dark a lot, and went through bulbs all the time........

Sponsored Links
Back