Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP ANY LEGAL EAGLES! My property has been served with a s

78 BUILDING ACT 1984 initial emergency notice. the letter states that the

property to be to dangerous for me to enter. I need access to personal

items. Advice please. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Are you the owner of the property and is the Section 78 notice the first contact from the local authority?

Thank you for your reply. Am new to this so hope I can make it work. The letter is headed Notice of emergency measures under section 78 B.Act 1984. "PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE PROPERTY". There is a list of requirements mainly all windows and doors to be boarded and that if I am able to arrange this myself, to let the council know within the next 7 days or else alternative necessary arrangements will be made. Also that the property is considered to be too dangerous for me or anyone else to be allowed into the property. Also as the gas meter, which is within 30cm of the front door and under the stairs, needs to be disconnected (normally free), it could cost well over £1000 to disconnect from outside the property.

I have had two letters in the past 5 years, but not under notice as far as I can remember i.e. not a s77
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have had two letters in the past you must have an idea why they have written, the property is empty presumably? Come on, more info required ......

Yes I am the owner and was living there til just over a month ago. Have had trouble with leaky upper bays, three of which have been temporarily repaired, the fourth needs taking down. Thanks.

Sorry Aron, What do you need to know. One bay is supported with acro props, the others have been repaired but as the property is empty the council are concerned about trespassers to whom I know I owe a duty of car. Thanks

This is the OP's impression he gives...
"I've bought a property and have had one or two maintenance problems and would like to fix them and get my paying tenants back in as soon as poss".

The truth mebbe?.....
"The OP has bought an absolute dump that should have been demolished but instead put paying tenants in there. After repeated ignored warnings from Environmental Health and the Council about the safety and condition of the building and its residents, the authorities decided to take action"

If the above is blarney I apologise but that's the impression most are probably getting.

Sorry to disappoint some of you doubters- I'm not a vile landlord nor would I ever be!! This has been my home for most of my adult life and I,ve been struggling for the last 25 years to cope while working, supporting parents and with my own health issues. The house will not be lived in again.

Sorry to disappoint some of you doubters- I'm not a vile landlord nor would I ever be!! This has been my home for most of my adult life and I,ve been struggling for the last 25 years to cope while working, supporting parents and with my own health issues. The house will not be lived in again.
Get PP for demolition and new build then sell the plot.

Every cloud eh.

Thanks Noseall - hope so (about the cloud) just hope its not a volcanic one! Had various friends give advice but unsure whether to sell as it is i.e. before a demolition order served or whether to demolish then sell. Will get some valuations etc @ quotes. Was also curious about legal side regarding entering my own property. Time demands its a quick 'head out of sand'

Oh come on, why does the house have to be demolished just because of an unstable bay? If you really want the help of the forum you will have to start giving us all the info. Otherwise the thread ain't going anywhere.

Hi, Freddy, Thanks but its beyond repair-90 yrs old, no proper foundations thus subsidence, dodgey floors, damp, unrepairable?!?

Unless there's anything of real architectural merit then I'd say demo it and build anew - it's got services and brownfield as residential so it's off to a good start. Sometimes keeping the old can cost so must time and money that starting over is better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back