Debit card oddity

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Glad it's not just me. I had been finding that my card was getting declined for no obvious reason. I also find the contactless doesn't work on fairly regular occurrences. I'm also with NatWest. Their staff had no idea why and suggested I was using contactless too much, but I only use it once a day maximum.

I do use cash but this has convinced me to use it more. The pubs I visit prefer it, anyway!

Last edited:
Glad it's not me. I had been finding that my card was getting declined for no obvious reason. I also find the contactless doesn't work on fairly regular occurrences. I'm also with NatWest. Their staff had no idea why and suggested I was using contactless too much, but I only use it once a day maximum.

The Nat West account, is the default account of the three which I have on Applepay. I used it five times yesterday, in different shops without issue. It was only ever declined, by the cafe and on the bus's. Applepay, relies on your fingerprint or facial recognition, instead of a pin - which is infinitely more secure, so there is no limit on your spend, and no need to input a pin every so many transactions - the system confirms it is you for every transaction.

It was no great inconvenience, having the Nat West car declined, I was simply able to select one of my backup card in Applepay, rather it was a curiosity.

I do use cash but this has convinced me to use it more. The pubs I visit prefer it, anyway!

When contactless was first launched, and I was still carrying some emergency cash around, I did my own mini survey in shops and pubs - both said they much preferred card payments and even better - contactless, because it's quicker and error free. They don't have to deal with lots of cash/change, they don't have to watch for forgeries, or take it to the bank at the end of the day. Of course, cash in hand makes it much easier for a trader to avoid tax.

The Nat West account, is the default account of the three which I have on Applepay. I used it five times yesterday, in different shops without issue. It was only ever declined, by the cafe and on the bus's. Applepay, relies on your fingerprint or facial recognition, instead of a pin - which is infinitely more secure, so there is no limit on your spend, and no need to input a pin every so many transactions - the system confirms it is you for every transaction.

It was no great inconvenience, having the Nat West car declined, I was simply able to select one of my backup card in Applepay, rather it was a curiosity.

When contactless was first launched, and I was still carrying some emergency cash around, I did my own mini survey in shops and pubs - both said they much preferred card payments and even better - contactless, because it's quicker and error free. They don't have to deal with lots of cash/change, they don't have to watch for forgeries, or take it to the bank at the end of the day. Of course, cash in hand makes it much easier for a trader to avoid tax.

Meant to say 'glad it's not just me' by the way!

Mine used to get declined in the Aldi supermarket near to work. No idea what the issue was, but then again it was pretty much the only place I used it. The bank couldn't provide a reason for it, which for me was really odd. It was an inconvenience for me as I had to take 30 mins out to get it reactivated. If they had suspected fraud or something suspicious then hats off to them, but they just didn't know. No biggie I suppose!

Maybe we frequent different types of establishments, but my locals say 'cash is king'! They don't have to pay a percentage of their earnings to a bank or financial institution and can simply deposit takings themselves (if they don't use a cash handling service, which they say is cheaper). Yeah it'll die out over time as newer generations shun it and the government move towards a digital currency, but for now I'll stick to it.

Have people really not encountered card only businesses yet? It's not common but I've seen more than a few of them.

Or planned to pay with cash then realised you need to get more out, and not known where the nearest cash machine is?

Have people really not encountered card only businesses yet? It's not common but I've seen more than a few of them.
Yes one or two. In fact one has started taking cash again as they were loosing so much custom.

Yup, multiple bars in Nottingham I went to last month were refusing cash.

Just stuck it on the credit card (oh no....) and remembered to pay it off at the next statement. Student city with lots of custom.

Yep, there are plenty round here. During the covid, many of those who took both, had signs up asking customers to please use contactless. Even many market traders have a little machine, which seems to connect to their mobile phones. If they cannot take contactless, I go where they can take it.

Or planned to pay with cash then realised you need to get more out, and not known where the nearest cash machine is?

I have taken cash out of an ATM for years, last time I needed cash, I drew out at a local post office, mainly to check it was possible. I still have most of that cash in my wallet.

Sponsored Links
Back