dedicated lamp sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
anyone know how to wire up dedicated round pin 5amp sockets for table lamps. have not done these for years and cant remember how i did it.
im using loop-in for lighting circuit if that matters.

help ????

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm missing something complicated, but what's wrong with taking a supply from the lighting circuit, switching the live in a conveniently placed wall switch?

They just have the bog standard L, N & E terminals on the back, where is the loop in - at the socket or switch?

run a L-N-E from the switch or from the ceiling rose if you want to switch them with the main light..

wire the same as any other socket.. live to L, neutral to N, earth / cpc to the earth.. simples..

Sponsored Links
"loop in" is a very general term..
it can mean "loop in" at the switches or "loop in" at the ceiling roses / lights..

which do you mean?

if you have the L and N at the switch then you just do as above, take a L-N-E from the switch to the socket..

if you only have / want lives and switched lives at the switch then you can "loop in" at the socket much as you would a ceiling rose, Live in, Live out, Switch wire..
the perm lives from the Live in, Live out and Switch wire would go in a terminal block in the back of the box much as it would in a light fitting with only terminals for L-N-E..

cheers guys

yes my lighting circuit is loop in and all cable go to ceiling pendant and twin brown to switch.

so do i take a perminent LNE from loop in pendant feed all the lamp sockets in a radial..... thats where i get confused.... how is it switched ?

that's up to you..
do you want them on with the main light and optional switches on the lamps themselves? or do you want a multi-gang switch by the door so that to turn on a table lamp you have to get up and go and switch it on there?

if the former then a N and a Switched Live from the main light to all the sockets should suffice.
if the latter then a perm L-N-E from the ceiling rose to all the sockets and a twin brown from each to the switch position..
treat them then as any other lighting point with the perm lives in a block in the back of the box and the SW live in the socket with the N and E's...

coljack i think im getting it now.

yes i have 3 lamp sockets to go in a lounge operated by a seperate switch (2 gang switch near door) this switch is to bring all 3 lamp sockets on together, seperate from the ceiling rose.

hope this helps

then it might be simpler to run a L-N-E from the ceiling rose to the switch and then a switched L-N-E from the switch to the sockets to make life easier..

mmm thats knacked it, now im confused again. i thought you wasn't allowed neutrals in switches ?

god this is a right pain.

You don't switch the neutral, just join the two neutrals together with a piece of chock block.
There is nothing wrong with having neutrals in the enclosure formed by the back box and the switch plate.

ok let me see if i have this......

from my ceiling rose, take a loop LNE down to switch..... join up the neutrals and switch the live....take the newly formed switched LNE down to my first lamp socket then wire the other two from the first in a radial ?????

Yep that will work, downside of course is it means you have yet another cable to cram in at the light, no problem if it's a striplight, doable but tight

Another option which will make the wiring less cramped is to replace the existing switch wire with a run of 3+E, then you can use one core for the permanent live to both switches, one core for the neutral and one core for the switched live to the ceiling light.

Thats another story . . .

My crack at answering it in 20 words:

To be legal the work will need to comply with building regulations which means it must be done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back