Did you go to university?

When I went to college (same financial help as Uni), I got a 'full grant' because my parents were poor by the letter of the rules. £105 per term, with room and board paid for me by the state. I worked each summer, just as I had as a schoolboy. Mummy and Daddy were unable to help. When was your era?

"Going on" to university was simply not expected, and therefore not even mentioned, in any of my schools. I am not disagreeing with anybody else's experiences, just offering my own perspective. Me and my schoolmates came from non-university parents, and there is nothing wrong with that. These things get passed down through the generations; in all the places I've worked the directors' parents were directors and the labourers' parents were labourers. I stand by my earlier comment about "mummy and daddy" putting one into university.

Sponsored Links
I am not disagreeing with anybody else's experiences,
Yes you are, you told JP_ what his background was. You don't seem to realise what a clothhead you come across as, because you keep doing things like that.

Your "earlier comment" is wrong. Don't stand by it, it makes you look silly.

Me and my schoolmates came from non-university parents,
So did mine. Both left school at 14.
Mum and Dad paid nothing towards my university education. They didn't have spare. My older brother was still at home, and he paid them rent. I was according to my parents, "getting out of" paying them by going away. My father moaned that I expected them to keep a room for me to go back to so I had to pay them some of my grant, at the start. He argued with whoever it came from that it should go directly to him, Britney style, but he didn't get it. I soon found I didn't need to go back home - stayed with friends, so I told them I couldn't affford to go home and they should rent the room out and keep the money. Mum had a different view of course.
An uncle had left myself and my brother a few hundred quid, and I used some of that so I could stay in uni accommodation rather than living out, and to buy books etc.
Only a couple I was at school with called their parents "mummy and daddy".
I met my wife at uni, her parents were hard up - 6 kids in a pokey 3 bed terrace. Her oldest brother was easily bright enough but grants were nugatory way back then so he went to the phone company, did lots of on the job qualifications and night school and wound up a chartered engneer doing well in BT. Second and third oldest brothers became chartered accountants, similar route. Her younger sister did a degree in sociology from working in soc servs, about 10 yrs ago; she must have been 45-50 ish.

The only things holding you back are/were the mahoosive pair of chips on your shoulders and what's in between.
For your adult life there have been plenty of OU courses , night schools.... I've used both, over a period. You?

I worked at Staffs universities (Stoke & Stafford). We installed some of the underground ducting for the computer cable network.

You are speaking from a comfortable middle class perspective; a large chunk of the population do not have parents that can help financially.

How many young people, in the real world, can have two years off to travel?iHe borrowed the money

You are speaking from a comfortable middle class perspective; a large chunk of the population do not have parents that can help financially.

How many young people, in the real world, can have two years off to travel?
He borrowed the money to travel. Traveling in the 90s was relatively cheap.

Sponsored Links
You don't seem to realise what a clothhead you come across as, because you keep doing things like that.

Your "earlier comment" is wrong. Don't stand by it, it makes you look silly.
Lol. Says the guy up in the middle of the night, trying to be "right on the internet ".

For your adult life there have been plenty of OU courses , night schools.... I've used both, over a period. You?
I'm not interested, if I was I could / would easily have done such things but I've done quite alright without it all. It's not imperative that a person follows a prescribed education progression. I have a distrust of people who are always going on courses and amassing qualifications (credentialism). Having been to a university does not confer any goodness or decency on a person. The majority of our MPs are university graduates, and they are among the country's worst people.

There was a time, long ago, when I thought a lot of universities and scholarly people but those days, those universities and those people have gone. Universities now are left-wing brainwashing camps for the masses rather than elite centres of learning.

There was a time, long ago, when I thought a lot of universities and scholarly people but those days, those universities and those people have gone. Universities now are left-wing brainwashing camps for the masses rather than elite centres of learning.
Another blinkered post. Most of the very right wing, are the typical university type.

You really don't think things through

I'm not interested, if I was I could / would easily have done such things but I've done quite alright without it all. It's not imperative that a person follows a prescribed education progression. I have a distrust of people who are always going on courses and amassing qualifications (credentialism). Having been to a university does not confer any goodness or decency on a person. The majority of our MPs are university graduates, and they are among the country's worst people.

Cudda wudda shudda

Universities now are left-wing brainwashing camps for the masses rather than elite centres of learning
Another blinkered post. Most of the very right wing, are the typical university type.
Left wing, right wing, believe what you want.
What I will say, the dourest day ever, when I was working in a university - 24/6/2016.

After my A'levels I spent 8 months working a lift engineer. I then went to a poly, that, post the 1991 white paper became a university.

I am eternally grateful for the fact that they taught me how to learn independently. In my first semester, all students had to read works by the likes of Plato, Marx and Adam Smith. We were taught how to question things- not some thing that happened in schools in those days.

To think some courses that involved a couple of years free at the local tech college now involve a uni and thousands of pounds of debt

To think some courses that involved a couple of years free at the local tech college now involve a uni and thousands of pounds of debt

All about money. Big business now. Bristol University has expanded massively. Whole office blocks converted to student accom and international students flown in from all over. Lots of Chinese.

I have found that those that have not been to Uni equate every single thing to money...eg I haven't been to uni and have trade earning 2k a week...not exactly a chip on their shoulder more a huge millstone round the neck...Uni teaches you that not everything revolves around money it may need money but the most important things are those that allow the individual to attain self-actualization and attain goals of the the inner self.
For them its always rating themselves or others against other groups...left wing are commies , right wing are nazis, I haven't been to uni and its a waste of time, all uni's just do nothing...the irony of the university origin computer they type on or the vaccine that stopped them dying is lost... poor chaps. .

Week one at uni....out pops maslow... Where do you fit ? Normally the anti uni's never get passed level 2, when they mistake wealth with security and forget the concept of having enough to do what you need..Eg a monk
Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs-730816.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back