Diesel has gone up again..........

Went to Egypt last year, diesel was something silly like 10p a litre, but a 20 year old Lada would cost about 2k, far more than the average egyptian earns in a year. They have the cheap fuel but cant afford to buy a car.
We got invited out to dinner by a Dr (friend of friend), he exclaimed very proudly that he owned a car and would collect us from hotel. No joke I have seen better things going down the crushers heaped on back of flatbed. The poor guy was so proud of it, it gave him some status.

Texaco up road diesel £1.25

Sponsored Links
It was still 117 here this morning...

We've started adopting an environmental driving style, slow acceleration looking ahead so I can release the accelerator earlier etc.
We've gone form 46 to 55mpg a saving of 20%. I think we're going to do this permenantely.

I can't understand the idiots that are rushing TO work in the morning.
They're probably the worse moaners about the prices. They could probably save even more than we are.

Sponsored Links
Saudia Arabian oil costs $2 a barrel to extract it then sells for $119 on the open market. The oil producing countries won't increase production because more oil means lower prices, so is their really a shortage of oil, they did the same thing with coffee years ago, that is create a shortage to force up prices.

Some opec countries are also having their cake and eating it. The increased revenue from oil is being used to speculate on oil which also forces up the price.

An old egyptian limerick went sort of like this:

"King Tut got so in debt he had to give up his chariot-o!
His mum said never mind son, use the camel bus but he couldn't afford the Fare-o"

There is a pertinent Egyptian saying:

My father rode a camel.

I drive a car.

My son will fly a jet plane.

His son will ride a camel.

There is a pertinent Egyptian saying:

My father rode a camel.

I drive a car.

My son will fly a jet plane.

His son will ride a camel.
They get up to anything over there, randy little boogers.

There was an economist geezer on Jeremy Vine this week discussing fuel prices, he claimed the price of petrol is cheaper now than in the early 70s, and it is lifestyle changes that have made us more car dependant and vulnerable to price rises

The 70s thing was political. It was a short blip that almost wrecked Western civilisation as we know it. You ask JohnD about it.

Sponsored Links
Back