DIS course

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , i would like some feedback on the DIS course , views etc

I start mine in febuary and would like some feedback of people that have already done it.

My only slight concern is i would like to go NICEIC but i will have to run 2 jobs through with building control which is a bit of a bind.

i already have the latest megger and am getting my head in books to get up2 speed with things before i start.

I have quite alot of experience and would be confident enough to rewire my house includeing C/U.

I will be doing 2381 shortly afterwards.

views would be great.

merry crimbo to you all

Sponsored Links
Hi mate i did the EAL domestic installers course a few months ago i did'nt really learn anything i didn't already know you will be much better off doing 2381 and the 2391 and skip the DIS course altogther

i see, i think i will have to do DIS so i can join NIC but will also be doing 2381 soon.

I did the 2381 and 2391, and then applied (successfully :) ) to NICEIC. 2391 was invaluable to me since I had very little experience of proper testing. Also invaluable was the help and mentoring I got from sparky mates (not least Uncle Dingbat!)
I found Scaddan's books good for background knowledge too, but in hindsight I'd get them from the library rather than buy them, since there appears to be a lot of repetition across the different books.
Good luck!

Sponsored Links
MST
Done the EAL course. Done three or four modules a day and done a multiple choice test after each one. A choice of four possible answers with three attempts at getting the right one. On the last day there was an online test of twenty questions, only one attempt at each question. This is the one you have to pass, though the same questions had come up during the week.

I would of prefered more time spent on testing but everything is crammed into 4 1/2 days, there's not much time spent on anything. I've heard that originally it was to be a three week course but that it was thought that a lot people wouldn't be willing to take three weeks off work so the course time was cut, but not the fees.

I did learn bits from it, you don't realise till they crop up, but if they want a course that covers different levels of experience then the course needs to more in depth and more practical.It seems like you pay a grand and get a qualification. Tony Blair might be investigated for doing something similar.

My advice ask loads of questions and make plenty of notes, something to refer to in the future.

thanks for the replys gents.....More are welcome folks!

Yes i heard brian scaddens books are good and i have had a look at some but i think the problem i had with them "at quick glance" is they all seem to have loads of calcullations that i dont understand....but i was goin to invest in 1-2 books of brians when i do my 2381.

What you have told me is good for me to-know gents

More views would be good.

merry crimbo to all :)

Gangman's experience and feelings mirror mine. The notes from the course at Rotherham which I attended were very good and I too made lots of notes and asked questions - which were well answered. Some reading before the course is good and you need to spend the evenings sorting out the day's work. I've now a collection of books, but most useful day to day are the TLC guide and the OSG. Scanlan is good for some things and don't be put off by the maths; a lot of concepts suddenly make sense when you work through the calculations
Best of luck.

NICEIC do a very good book on testing and inspection which also guides you through filling in their forms. And a recent addition is a DVD on inspection and testing.
Just like driving, you will learn much more from the experience you get after you pass.
NICEIC are not ogre's, they want to make sure you understand the importance of interpreting the results you get from testing and what to look for if the readings are abnormal.
If you have difficulty obtaining these books, drop me a line.

yeap i have the NICEIC testing and inspection book from 2001 which is absoluty brill!

Would be intrested in the dvd too!

Where would i get it from?

cheers mst

Thanks again RF,

I think i might give it a miss due to starting my course in febuary and im to tight to pay 20 quid for it :LOL:

mst said:
Hi all , i would like some feedback on the DIS course...

I start mine in febuary...

That wouldn't be February 19th would it? In the southeast?

Some pointers:

To join a self certification scheme you need to be competent.
Do demonstrate competence you need some basic qualification and you need to be assessed on site.
The majority of people doing electrical work in houses are not trained electricians - that is they have no qualifications.
The DIS and other such courses exist to provide this minimal qualification - and that is all it can ever be.
Passing the DIS course does not allow you to self-certify. It is purely to allow people who have worked (in blissful ignorance) on electrical installations to acquire an entry-level piece of paper to a practical assessment process. (Rather than take away their living)
The real assessment is on-site, when you've applied to join a scheme.
The majority (the big majority) of DIS attendees are very poorly prepared and struggle to understand the very basic principles taught.

My advice?
Read pages 62-82 of the On Site Guide over and over again and put it into practice.
In fact, read ALL of the OSG, several times and get familiar with where things are.
Study basic electrical theory - Ohms law and all that - and get used to doing these very rudimentary calculations... no point in trying to work out how to use your calculator when there's more important stuff to get your head round.

Thanks for the feedback Dingbat,

Yes i do hear that many people go on these courses and come out and either to scared to do the on-site assessment or just get put off by it all.

On my side of things im deep in study of testing procedures and yes ive read the on-site guide but do find the nic one far better.
I always did enjoying doing electrical work and miss it since part p farce came along.

Im lucky enough to use a good spark at the moment and recently ive been helping him on rewires etc which will be on going.

Im quitely confident i will be ok by the time my course starts, infact im a bit worried im going to pay all this money just to be taught the things ive already been taught.......i dont want that i want to know more!!!!!! :)

The part i know next to nothing about at the moment are the calulations
however that is in place on my reading list.

And nope im doing my DIS in the south.

Thanks for your advice

Cheers ;)

ii
i

Sorry message to moderaters ,

i seemed to have another window come up after my last message,can you delete it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back