DiscussionNot.com

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tired after all that DIY? Discuss or debate topical issues here.

That is until one (or more) of the moderators gets bored by it.

And yet, barely twelve months ago, it was acceptable to let this kind of discussion to continue for several days.

A curious (but not mysterious) coincidence - the more moderators there are, the more topics get locked, irrespective of content and contributors.
______

PS :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Although I haven't read through all of the quoted postings in your posting, Softus, I did come across a quote that I found disturbing. I cant remember the actual words but it was from a Moderator and went along the lines of "When I decide the axe falls". It has also concerns me when a Mod. claims that he/she "has a button that you don't have".

It would appear, that they the moderators, have at least, very great power or even when it comes to Moderating, unlimited power.
Moderator3
The question really is, are they the Moderators, themselves moderated
Yes!

I cant remember the actual words but it was from a Moderator and went along the lines of "When I decide the axe falls".
That particular moderator has since gone - I suspect sacked.

It has also concerns me when a Mod. claims that he/she "has a button that you don't have".
Indeed so - the need to crow when in a position of power is never an attractive trait.

The question really is, are they the Moderators, themselves moderated, or are they truly omnipotent?
If I've understood the arrangement correctly, they are indeed moderated. But sometimes they give the impression of having forgotten about it...

Who are the Moderators? Are the drawn from the ranks of registered users?

Sponsored Links
I have this image in my head of something like the Death Star off of Starwars. Full to the brim with brown-shirted Mods, monitoring all forums everywhere for the mearest hint of dissention or irrelevancy.

Brown-shirted sentinal: "Forgive me, Lord Moderator, but there appears to be talk of Werthers Origionals on a DIY forum!"

Lord Moderator: "Very well (*breathes heavily*) deploy the 'AXE'"

*music plays* 'DUM DUM DUM DA DA DUM DA DA DUM.....'

You may scoff! It could be true!

I'd love to know why people become moderators. It has to be a power thing. Are they would-be policemen? Would they be the Gestapo given half the chance? What do they get out of being a pain in the butt?

I'd love to know why people become moderators. It has to be a power thing. Are they would-be policemen? Would they be the Gestapo given half the chance? What do they get out of being a pain in the butt?

i was asked to be a mod.

to be honest its no where as busy as this forum and i just watch out for spam posts and delete them as and when they are posted. i dont do much else really.

its not at all how you think.

this forum though is slightly different, it has a whole host of rules, which if you read them seem to be have been borne of necessity.

take rule 1 for example

that seems to have come about because a NP posts the same question say an hour or two later, not realising that most of us have day jobs, so as we are not here cannot reply, but they want a reply there and then, so post the same question again

same with most if not all of them.

rule 4 is another one, its obvious to most but not those who have never been on aforum before

I guess its the same for all of the rules (which is what i just said)

If NPs read the rules then they would not "do wrong" i am going to press the alert mods button for a post i have just seen, the op has typed in capitals and hi jacked a post.

If NP read the rules they wouldnt hi jack posts or type in capitals

hi jacking does cause confusion, another reason why there is another rule (12)

nah get rid of them all and lets just have a free for all

The trouble with free-for-alls is that, by definition, you can't keep them to yourself. If there were no moderators you would soon have difficulty finding any useful information at all amongst all the adverts. Come to think of it, I know somewhere just like that. It's called the internet.

There is of course the age old question of who checks the checkers. When I first learnt the ins and outs of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows NT, just about the first thing we were taught was "The administrator is God". Since then I've learnt that some gods do their best to keep users happy while others think they were put on this planet for the sole purpose of p*ssing of people off.

We do have an advantage on this forum in having multiple moderators. Like the rest of us they are subject to peer review. They check each other.

If there were no moderators you would soon have difficulty finding any useful information at all amongst all the adverts.
They wouldn't get a look in what with all the slagging off going on ;)

Windows NT, just about the first thing we were taught was "The administrator is God". Since then I've learnt that some gods do their best to keep users happy while others think they were put on this planet for the sole purpose of p*ssing of people off.
Oh believe me, i know what you're talking about!!! However, I once overheard one of the IT guys saying the admin password, and i memorised it :LOL: Fools. Now I do what I want, when I want!

I once overheard one of the IT guys saying the admin password, and i memorised it Fools. Now I do what I want, when I want!

Rather than use the Administrator account directly, create some extra users with administrative rights and use them instead. Change them regularly and use a different one each time, preferably on a different computer. Plausible deniability! ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back