DIY Gas sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Oxford dictionary:

Definition of competence in English:
noun
1[MASS NOUN] The ability to do something successfully or efficiently.

Sponsored Links
You have the ability to think.

However, doing it successfully or efficiently is something you have failed.

Competency is something you therefore lack.

The rules are written thus to cover all eventualities; so that a design engineer for a manufacturer can design a gas appliance without being Gas Safe Registered, for instance.

Those boilers that we screw on the wall aren't designed by Gas Safe Register licence holders, and they aren't plumbed in design labs by Gas Safe people.

In terms of doing work in factories, offices and domestic buildings there are rules that have been proved and exercised in Law. In other words, whatever the person currently calling himself Harrison thinks, people are successfully prosecuted every year for doing as he advises. Many of those prosecuted were ex Corgi or Gas Safe registered, so could prove that they had, at some point, the knowledge.

Nevertheless they are still successfully prosecuted. And the HSE will continue to have people fined and locked up.

Mr Harrison can interpret the Law how he sees fit, but he is being irresponsible with ignorant impressionable people who may be swayed by his rhetoric. Ignorance is no excuse in Law. It is OK on an internet forum.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who has worked in the business for a reasonable length of time will have seen many examples of shocking and occasionally dangerous work carried out by people who thought they were competent. As said before, you will interpret the law however you see it. I hope, though, that before you do any work paid or otherwise that you clearly inform anyone who may come into contact with it that you are not registered and have not, therefore, demonstrated your competence in any way that will be recognised.

As a result there was a suspended jail sentence and a heavy fine for the offender: Vispasp Sarkari of Hawthorne Avenue, Harrow received a sentence of 12 months’ in prison, although this was suspended for two years. He must carry out 150 hours of unpaid community work and has to pay a fine of £10,000 plus £9,978 of prosecution costs.

this person decided to "do" his own gas works, and as we all know to "do" is to prove competence.

The only half baked opinion is that you consider yourself to be competent but have no way to demonstrate it. I know an african man who claims he is competent to handle my financial affairs. A bloke down the pub also says he can do my house sale conveyancing. Both may be able to do what they claim but as they cannot demonstrate their competence I will choose not to use their services.

The law is often open to interpretation. Please explain to the coordinator of your community projects that the only way you have to show your competence is that you haven't fooked up yet. Let them interpret the law as they see fit in the knowledge that should anything go wrong they will also be in line for prosecution.

Haven't you got a toilet to go and flush...I think it's full

This is clearly Mr Harrison's idea of a fun weekend. The sun is shining, I'm off to do something more interesting.

Community Projects? Care in the community more like :LOL:

Nice to have at least one moron on the forum to poke fun at.

You gotta feel fro Mr Harrison's victims though.

Got bored reading, but it did occur to me:

Has anyone actually seen John & Joe at the same time? :sneaky:

Under different guises this ejit goes fishing every six months or so, its either thermal stores ,diy gas or unvented cylinders and still manages to get people to bite, if you ignore him the medicine will kick in and the nurse will take him back to the ward.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back