DIY gas thread - I'm confused

In some situations the law is an ass.

Do you honestly think that expecting someone to demonstrate that they actually know what they are doing when they install a gas boiler makes the law an ass?

Sponsored Links
Joe: I must be competent because I haven't blown any houses up yet.

suggests Joe was doing work in houses other than his own. It is illegal to do gas work in houses other than one's own house.

Still best to use a reputable and competent person for gas work in own's own house.

Sponsored Links
I wrote ""Competence can only be demonstrated by examination of work the person has carried out.""

Do you honestly think that expecting someone to demonstrate that they actually know what they are doing when they install a gas boiler makes the law an ass?

The law is an ass if it states that training and experience will ensure that the person will never act in an incompetent way.

I already have responded.
@Old Salt is the closest person we've got to a HSE professional. He's taken the HSE to court and won the litigation - it sounds to me that he knows the law better than me or you. So, let's listen to his opinions and understand them

Will you take what I say at face value, or will you dismiss it as someone talking nonsense on the internet?
Are you asking me if I will believe you when you declare your profession? the answer is yes

I am a retired RGI with over 40 years experience in the industry. I have a first class undergraduate degree and three Masters degrees, one of them an LLM in Construction Law.

I am a retired RGI with over 40 years experience in the industry. I have a first class undergraduate degree and three Masters degrees, one of them an LLM in Construction Law.
bloomin nora - I'm not even gonna ask how all that happened. Sound like an interesting life story - but we digress.

I conclude that you are qualified enough to have your views respected on this matter.

I'm not even gonna ask how all that happened

Basically, I enjoyed the learning (most of the time) and my employer paid for it all. I didn't want to turn down an opportunity like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back