DIY gas thread - I'm confused

A couple of cases for discussion, where I have had very serious concerns about work done by obviously qualified and certified gas installers.

1. A domestic install, where a BG engineer installing an appliance had attempted to solder a chrome gas pipe into a gas chrome gas fitting, without making any attempt to remove the chrome. The joint was held together by nothing at all and very obviously leaking.

2. A commercial install of a combi gas boiler, replacing a heat only, in a small shopping centre - a place where kids often hung around at night, judging by all the graffiti and vandalism. A larger pipe had to be run all the way from the outdoor meter at the rear of the premises, rather than finding a secure route from meter to the boiler, or at least running the new pipe out of reach, the installer had run the 25mm pipe along the side of the building, an regular access corridor to the centre and just one foot up from the ground. It defies common sense that anyone would think it safe to run a pipe in such an unsafe manner.

Both no doubt had the necessary certifications, so I suppose that makes it OK?

Sponsored Links
A couple of cases for discussion, where I have had very serious concerns about work done by obviously qualified and certified gas installers.

1. A domestic install, where a BG engineer installing an appliance had attempted to solder a chrome gas pipe into a gas chrome gas fitting, without making any attempt to remove the chrome. The joint was held together by nothing at all and very obviously leaking.

2. A commercial install of a combi gas boiler, replacing a heat only, in a small shopping centre - a place where kids often hung around at night, judging by all the graffiti and vandalism. A larger pipe had to be run all the way from the outdoor meter at the rear of the premises, rather than finding a secure route from meter to the boiler, or at least running the new pipe out of reach, the installer had run the 25mm pipe along the side of the building, an regular access corridor to the centre and just one foot up from the ground. It defies common sense that anyone would think it safe to run a pipe in such an unsafe manner.

Both no doubt had the necessary certifications, so I suppose that makes it OK?
We've all had bad experiences at the hands of 'professionals' - btw to avoid getting dogpiled I must caveat that by saying - many professionals are A* standard and certainly all pros on this forum are the dogs gonads.

Incompetent professionals are not just the domain of plumbers / RGI's. Don't get me started
  • Took my car to a dealership for a service once and they said they'd replaced the pollen filter when they hadn't they also forgot to put the dipstick back in and tore the splash guard.
  • Once bought a car from a dealership that did '145 checks' before releasing the vehicle... as soon as I got it out on the road the sensors start bleeping - the tyre pressures were almost half what they should be
  • Had a gas fire fitted once - we went on holiday and came back and could smell gas. A compression joint was leaking
However, in the interest of fairness.. I must own up to my own DIY nightmares:
  • Once drilled straight into a water pipe (buried in the plaster). Literally got a face full
  • Over torqued a bolt on the break pads and it snapped off - had to rely on the pros to bail me out (very embarrassing)
  • Once I forgot to close a radiator air vent and was happily filling the system. Lots of water on the new laminate floor
  • Got a electric shock once when installing a new light fitting - 230V! never made that mistake again!

Incompetent professionals are not just the domain of plumbers / RGI's. Don't get me started
  • Took my car to a dealership for a service once and they said they'd replaced the pollen filter when they hadn't they also forgot to put the dipstick back in and tore the splash guard.
  • Once bought a car from a dealership that did '145 checks' before releasing the vehicle... as soon as I got it out on the road the sensors start bleeping - the tyre pressures were almost half what they should be
  • Had a gas fire fitted once - we went on holiday and came back and could smell gas. A compression joint was leaking

I think we have all been there, which is why I have always done as much of my own, as I can and closely supervise the rest. It shouldn't be necessary, but it is - as evidenced by the numerous threads on here, questioning work that the pros have done, or at least the bottom feeders.

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be necessary, but it is - as evidenced by the numerous threads on here, questioning work that the pros have done

It happens across all trades and professions. Pilots, surgeons, doctors, nurses, lawyers, judges, juries, the police, Suez canal ships pilots (the list is almost endless) all make mistakes or make deliberately harmful/illegal decisions.

It would be great if it didn't happen but that is just the way it is and will always be.

It would be great if it didn't happen but that is just the way it is and will always be.

Which is where a fastidious DIY'er wins every time. Someone doing work for themselves, is not under any commercial pressure to cut corners, can usually take as long as necessary to research and do the job properly. Often he/she will be well aware that if they get it wrong, then it will be their own life and that of their family they are putting at risk.

Some of the most extreme fastidious work I have seen, has been done by DIY'ers, doing it as a hobby.

get it wrong, then it will be their own life and that of their family they are putting at risk.
I get what you’re saying, but if it was an explosion, or an issue with carbon monoxide, not just their own family, though, is It?

Some of the most extreme fastidious work I have seen, has been done by DIY'ers, doing it as a hobby.

Agreed, but there are safer activities than others. I wouldn't want a DIY pilot taking me on holiday or, getting back on topic, a DIY gas installation which could take out a block of flats or a row of houses.

Agreed, but there are safer activities than others. I wouldn't want a DIY pilot taking me on holiday or, getting back on topic, a DIY gas installation which could take out a block of flats or a row of houses.

Was Ronan Point(sp?) a DIY or professional's error? Serious question, I do not know.

DIY or professional's error?

The precise cause of accumulation of gas that fuelled the explosion was not ( as far as I recall ) known. Leak in a pipe or a hob turned on but not immediately lit.

The collapse was a combination of poor building design. too many floors for the type of construction and shoddy workmanship in the building.

Hansard report HERE

The precise cause of accumulation of gas that fuelled the explosion was not ( as far as I recall ) known. Leak in a pipe or a hob turned on but not immediately lit.

The collapse was a combination of poor building design. too many floors for the type of construction and shoddy workmanship in the building.

Hansard report HERE

I only remembered it as a gas explosion and the collapse of an entire corner of the building, due to poor construction - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back