DIY gas thread - I'm confused

Sponsored Links
the latest supposition is that Joe .has probably acted illegally

No supposition or probably about it. You can try and spin it anyway you want, the law is clear.

No supposition or probably about it. You can try and spin it anyway you want, the law is clear.
OK great .. now do you have any links of prosecutions? you're great at finding stuff. Just one will do.

Sponsored Links
Irrelevant. What about an FOI request to the HSE?
It's relevant in the sense that it shows there is a very real consequence - I take it you cant find any ;)

Just say so if you can't! not finding one doesn't mean there is no prosecutions - just that we're not searching using the right keywords

Would you break the law if there were no consequences?
I get the impression that you're worried about 'losing the argument' - that's fine. In my mind this is not a debate - it's a Q&A, if it will lower your defences then I concede that you have won the argument. Now you dont have to worry about losing a debate because there is no debate..

can you find any articles relating to DIY gas prosecution?

No, I'm worried about Joe, just trying to keep him out of trouble.

Not on Yahoo, what about an FOI request to the HSE?
I wouldn't even know where to start with a FOI.. and I'm not that curious to do real paperwork

but you must admit, that it is quite curious that between the two us we are unable to find even one prosecution against a DIY gas installation. That's very odd

==================================================
They come up fairly often, usually when something goes wrong.
Some are reported in this magazine: https://registeredgasengineer.co.uk/
It's treated as a civil matter if nobody died.
We apply stricter restrictions in this forum than the law may require, depending on interpretation.
==================================================
Mod

Thanks for the link mod.. I went through all the historic headlines on their website (all 11 pages going back to 2018!).. there's plenty of:
still trying to find the golden nugget headline:
Joe Bloggs served with suspended sentence for DIY gas install in his own home

https://registeredgasengineer.co.uk/category/gas-safe-news/page/10/

It's relevant in the sense that it shows there is a very real consequence - I take it you cant find any ;)

Just say so if you can't! not finding one doesn't mean there is no prosecutions - just that we're not searching using the right keywords

I am very much on your side with this boolie, having suffered incompetent and dangerous work myself from professional and qualified gas installers, plus seeing lots more examples. From memory and in the recent past, I have seen at least three reported house explosions in the news which were suggested to be gas explosions. I would be interested in knowing the background to these and the actual cause of them.

OK after some advanced keyword searching on google - the closest I could find is this (I know it's from 14 years ago - but the law hasn't changed):
Thief used illegal meter to take gas

Now the interesting thing is that BG prosecuted him for stealing - but by the looks of the article he didn't get done for the DIY gas part.
I would expect two charges:
  1. Stealing
  2. DIY gas install
but there was only one

Would you carry out illegal gas work in your own home if you thought you would get away with it?
Don't look at this from a micro level, look at it at a macro level - there's no point having rules if they are not enforced and their is no consequence.
Whether Harry, John or Jack would or would not do it is a moot point. If there is no consequence then, of course, many will do it. If it's law then it must be enforced - it's silly to suggest that you rely on individuals morals!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back