DIY gas thread - I'm confused

If it's law then it must be enforced

Agreed, but you are barking up the wrong tree here. Ask the HSE how many prosecutions there have been and, if none, why not.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, but you are barking up the wrong tree here. Ask the HSE how many prosecutions there have been and, if none, why not.
so far I haven't found any prosecutions - and Ive gone down to local rag level.

I have found prosecutions for gas stealing - in which the perpetrator DIY installed a dodgy meter. The odd thing is that the perpetrator was NOT prosecuted for the DIY install bit but just for stealing. To be honest makes me wonder if you've got the wrong end of the stick in your interpretation of the law

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/aps1k-gas-thief-ordered-pay-769000

Sponsored Links
Ask the prosecutors then, the HSE.
will you do that for me? sounds like hard work and I'm too lazy
and while you're at it - can you tell them to publicise DIY prosecutions more - acts as a deterrent if they are in the news

Unfortunately only in a few cases that illegal DIY work/installs are reported and prosecuted, obviously just not enough and I think that primarily down to funding and resource but that's another discussion.

Not sure what the argument is here though? Ultimately someone could drive around in a car quite safely as they believe they are competent but still completely illegally, no license etc (which is the legal confirmation of being competent to drive) but it won't be till they hit an ANPR or something/someone else that then draws them to the attention of the law and they are then prosecuted. Just because they can do it, do do it and not get caught doesn't make it any more acceptable or safe to them or others. There are countless regulated disciplines where a license to operate is required under law but unscrupulous/ignorant/unsociable/downright dangerous people still do it.

Just because people do it and don't get caught then are we saying then there just shouldn't be laws to guard against it? I'd hate to live in a society where that was the case, what a state we'd be in. The laws are there as a deterrent and most follow it, there will always be cases where some don't.

@Madrab, but they do get caught and don't get prosecuted for the install.. why is that? That makes me wonder whether we are interpreting the law incorrectly... Maybe the proof of competence is in the pudding

So in the case of the gas theft prosection, they were obviously caught.. why are they not prosecuted for the install bit?

Seems a bit like, they've illegally installed a gas meter and are stealing gas.. but the install is fine and doesn't leak so we'll just prosecute for the stealing bit

Last edited:
What is completely bonkers - a gas safe registered engineer will get more punishment than a diy-er because they’re supposed to be competent.

That makes me wonder whether we are interpreting the law incorrectly... Maybe the proof of competence is in the pudding

The law says than anyone needs to competent to work on gas. Do you really, deep down, think that means if you seem to install a boiler correctly you are competent but if you blow your house up you are incompetent? I've shown you the competency test, and it doesn't say that, or anything coming close to that.

The law says than anyone needs to competent to work on gas. Do you really, deep down, think that means if you seem to install a boiler correctly you are competent but if you blow your house up you are incompetent? I've shown you the competency test, and it doesn't say that, or anything coming close to that.
The question remains - why weren't the gas stealers prosecuted for doing a DIY install? They were caught red handed

Also remember that qualifications do not prove competence. Really only the results can prove competence.

Last edited:
The question remains - why weren't the gas stealers prosecuted for doing a DIY install?

How do you possibly think anyone on here would know the answer to that? Perhaps ask......nevermind.

Perhaps stealing gas attracted the higher penalty so they settled for that. Maybe the couldn't actually prove who switched the meter but could prove, fairly easily, the gas wasn't being paid for.

How do you possibly think anyone on here would know the answer to that? Perhaps ask......nevermind.

Perhaps stealing gas attracted the higher penalty so they settled for that. Maybe the couldn't actually prove who switched the meter but could prove, fairly easily, the gas wasn't being paid for.
Nope it doesn't work that way. They don't let you off for one crime because you did another - that's ridiculous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back