DIY gas thread - I'm confused

Also remember that holding a qualification is no proof of competence. The proof is actually in the pudding.. there is no other cast iron way of proving competence

Sponsored Links
Nope it doesn't work that way.

Of course it does.

Joe isn't the only one to get away with a crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/aug/15/prosecutions-england-wales

"Richard Atkins QC, the chair of Bar Council, which represents barristers in England and Wales, said: “Criminals up and down the country will be rubbing their hands with glee knowing that even if their crimes are detected and they are caught by the police, the chances of them being prosecuted or jailed are slim."

You 2 still quarrelling about this? Get a room :eek::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry but a piece of paper with your name and a stamp on it does not prove competence. Countless people have first hand experience of incompetent work by people with certificates coming out of their ears

Competence can only be proved by a successful body of work. Which is why my advice has always been to hire people who have a proven backlog of work - don't rely on their certificates

Sorry but piece of paper with your name and a stamp on it does not prove competence.

It does in the context of this "discussion" regarding the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

I'm not going to prolong this but I've shown you the legal position on competence. If you counter that with reasoned argument then fine, but not your "I didn't blow my house up therefore I am competent" nonsense.

For what it's worth I agree with most of this....

Countless people have first hand experience of incompetent work by people with certificates coming out of their ears

Competence can only be proved by a successful body of work. Which is why my advice has always been to hire people who have a proven backlog of work - don't rely on their certificates

I wonder if there's anyone who works for the HSE in this forum - what we need is some professional legal advice (for free!). Pro's, is there a HSE person in the CC?

Seems there are four "classifications" for those who work on gas equipment and pipes

[3] Registered and Competent
[2] Registered and Not Competent
[1] Not Registered and Competent
[0] Not Registered and Not Competent

Class [2] are often mentioned on this forum ( as in the thread about a cap left off the sample port ).(*)
Class [1] may be "illegal" but will probably do a better job than a Class [2]

A Class [3] may occasionally act like a Class [2]

(*) Flue test point. Is this safe?

Last edited:
Seems there are four "classifications" for those who work on gas equipment and pipes

[3] Registered and Competent
[2] Registered and Not Competent
[1] Not Registered and Competent
[0] Not Registered and Not Competent

Class [2] are often mentioned on this forum ( as in the thread about a cap left off the sample port ).
Class [1] may be "illegal" but will probably do a better job than a Class [2]

A Class [3] may occasionally act like a Class [2]
my favourite Class [2] was the thread about 1-2 weeks ago where the professional plumbed the toilet into the central heating pipes. Every time the OP went for a dump he was scratching his head as to why the boiler was losing pressure! You couldn't make it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back