DIY Gas Work IS NOT Illegal

• Thread starter Water Systems
  • Start date
fitz1 said:
WS, you are a very dangerous person.just to prove a point you are activly encouraging people who havnt got a clue to work on potentialy life threatening installs and repairs.Every diyer probably thinks they are competant including yourself, when actually they and you are far from it.
  • read Gasguru above. do you know and understand.

Sponsored Links
fitz1 said:
fitz1 said:
WS, you are a very dangerous person.just to prove a point you are activly encouraging people who havnt got a clue to work on potentialy life threatening installs and repairs.Every diyer probably thinks they are competant including yourself, when actually they and you are far from it.
  • read Gasguru above. do you know and understand.

I said they would come back with tripe!!!! Never fails.

Water Systems said:
No doubt the Corgi fools will come back with another couple pages of total tripe, trying to say that the law is not the law, and the law is his how they see it so they can keep charges high.

I love it!!!!!! No doubt more insults and abuse will come.

Personally, I think enough time & energy has been wasted on this fool...You will not receive any further correspondence from myself...I hope any sensible engineer`s will feel likewise...Ta,Ta...

Sponsored Links
You really are a silly little man, why can you not respond to additional points raised to you?, if you do not comprehend them simply ask nicely and we will try to restructure the points so as you can.

A few examples of recent diy gas work encountered

Boiler and unvented cylinder - no safety valves plumbed in, 5 gas leaks including unsoldered joint, parallel coupling jammed into gas valve along with dozen's of other faults.

image27bx.jpg

And behind the door

image11ar.jpg

image35yh.jpg

and unsoldered joint
image45fq.jpg

Here the housholder tried to blame the plumber from Thames water she had called out to fix her sink. They launched a full investigation until she admitted it was her own work (hose on back to front, bayonet socket not on wall, 2 gas leaks)
image56zi.jpg

In this one a householder just used insulating tape to seal - no sealant or gas approved PTFE tape

image64hi.jpg

And not forgetting the illegal and common tap connector to hob connection, just as well the gas leak he had on his own installed pipework was outside. That hob cost him at least £100 a year from the gas leak outside. Note nice isolating valve but no partiation from the drawer underneath.
image74oa.jpg

And there are many, many more images I could post. :LOL:

isnt all that O.k because it was diy and no one was affected by it, and no property was damaged.

Water Systems said:
Softus said:
Somewhat astonishingly, I agree with all of the above.
Then there you have it.
There I have what? An agreement? If so, then certainly. I agree with what you've written, but I don't agree with what you were writing earlier in the week. The difference is that you'be added the proviso of a DIYer having to be competent (as does everyone else).

The HSE said......
At present we do not believe that this evidence is sufficiently strong to suggest that current legal controls (ie for competence under GSIUR regulation 3(1)) are inadequate, and an absolute ban needs to be placed on DIY.
I don't care that the HSE have said this - unless some action is taken then those words are just irrelevant rhetoric.

If the HSE don't believe an absolute ban should be on DIY, then DIY gas work is legal.
No. Legislation, and common law, defines what's legal. The HSE believing, or not believing something, is irrelevant.

You must to learn to comprehend words. You are the sort who doesn't read instructions because you can't understand them, and ends up with a bag full of screws and nuts.
I assume that you're addressing one of the seemingly many conflicting personalities inside your own head, since, if you'd read more than a very few of my posts, you'd notice how frequently I refer posters to the MIs.

I offered my agreement with your words as an indication that there is some common ground on which a debate could be based, but you seem to be interested in nothing but contradiction and confrontation.

If it turns out that you really aren't just a troll then I would suspect some mental illness is at play, and I would have grave concerns for your ability to look after yourself on a daily basis.

Water Systems said:
If the window cleaner doesn't charge and he is competent then he can do it. That is the law.
No - it isn't the law. The law relates not to charging per se, but to doing something in the course of a business. The key factor is whether the window cleaner does the gas work as an unpaid tradesman, or whether he's doing it as a friend. Since you've referred to him as a window cleaner he's not in the role of a friend, so doing gas work is far more likely to be deemed to be illegal.

It is obvious you intelectually challenged.
It's obvious that you're as rough and ready with spelling and grammer as you are with your understanding of the law.

You are going around in circles.
That's right - I'm following your reasoning, which is leading in circles. :rolleyes:

Your opinion doesn't matter a hoot. What competence is relating to DIY gas has not been defined by the law. Only the law matters.
That simply isn't true either - you're on quite a roll :)

When a particular word, like "competence", isn't closely defined within the context of particular piece of leglisation, then a court, as you correctly observe, wil rule according to its interpretation. The ruling then becomes a precedent for subsequent cases. This much is not news to anyone. However, in the absence of knowing of a precedent we're all giving our opinions about a likely ruling, and, since this forum is largely about expert knowledge and opinions, my opinion is worth just as much as anyone elses.

Gasguru said:
A few examples of recent diy gas work encountered

And there are many, many more images I could post. :LOL:

This DIYer was outside the law by not being competent. I have seen many Corgis do incompetent work as well. The Corgi mag is full of their tricks and a list of those thrown out of Corgi - and that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

I think you'll find its called "Trolling".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion

Terry

Tezbedz said:
I think you'll find its called "Trolling".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion

Terry

I totally agree. If they read the first post properly there would be no need for all these pages.

If you are competent enough, DIY Gas Work is LEGAL. You DO NOT have to be CORGI registered.

Heating and Plumbing Monthly (July/ August 2006) has a story about two plumbers

This is what it says.

‘John Pritchard of Cardiff has been prosecuted and fined for carrying out illegal gas work without CORGI registration. He was fined £1000 with a further costs charge of £2,200.
An illegal gas worker from Kent was also found guilty of deceiving his customers. Charging them for work that was never finished or never started, has been prosecuted and jailed for 15 months. Ivan Taylor of Canterbury based Boiler Know How, had CORGI registration when working under the company but worked independently without registration.’

Obviously the second party would have been competent to carry out gas work but is NOT CORGI registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back