Diy Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trolls are here :LOL: :LOL:

Point 1, DIY gas is not illegal in this Country, anyone can doitall.

Point 2, Corgi have publicly stated that DIY gas is not a problem in the Country (chief Mike Tompson)

Point 3, DIY is the largest growth industry in this Country.

Point 4, and perhaps the most important. If giving free help and advice makes DIYer safer then sobeit, and that is across the board not just Gas.

Point 5, to the Corgi Inspector, go away you moron and read YOUR regs, or next time you're in the kennel club have a word with Tommo. Post a contact number and I'll arrange a meeting for you.

Sponsored Links
Nah there wont be a polo or enamel badge this time, just an expensive catalogue of overpriced forms to buy to ask your questions fill out the correct forms in triplicate

All advice is given on here with the best of intentions, by a lot of knowledgeable people who are giving up their time FOC. My main concern is those who will ask for advice, not get told what they want to hear and so go ahead anyway.

I fitted a new HW cylinder for a friend of a friend some time ago. Whilst there, doing the cylinder install, she asked me about installing a gas fire they had purchased. I advised her it needed a gas supply routing to it, flue would need to be swept and tested before use, and it was beyond my capabilities as im not Corgi reg. Gave her a couple of phone numbers for Corgi people and left. (Coal fire burning in the grate.)

Returned following evening to finish the cylinder. To my horror there sat the gas fire, in the fireplace merrily heating the room. Her brother had installed it that day, compression joints everywhere, nails hammered in and bent over to secure the pipes, I didnt dare look any further. Finished cylinder install, and legged it.

Despite me warning her of the possible dangers involved by not using a Corgi installer she still went ahead. Some people cannot be told.

Yes and so have I but with respect that isn't really the point here it is?

I am not trying to make a "point"

I was just confused about your comments about offering free adivce when you are doing exactly that. (200+ posts mostly offering free advice)

Read them all have you?

And,I know your not making a point.I had managed to work that out

:)

Sponsored Links
Despite me warning her of the possible dangers involved by not using a Corgi installer she still went ahead. Some people cannot be told.

That is my point Hugh, not everyone is as thick as two short planks. but there's always going to be them that are, fortunately it is very few in my opinion.

I have always DIYed and will continue to do so when I can stand up and doit. Working in the building trade for 49 + years you watch how people do things, and most tasks are not that difficult if you know how, maybe slow but that doesn't matter, but the sense off achievement is intoxicating.

If a DIY job is done by the book there would be no problems, but what happens if the job is done wrong. Now with water a lot of mess to the DIYers home but thats about it. Now if the job is gas think what the implications could be. YOUR family might be living in the house attached or your kids might be stopping over at a house where the flue has not been installed properly.
Would be interested to know how many RGI's get called out to problems that the householder has attempted to repair but then failed. I have recentley when got called after the husband had fitted a thermocouple to a boiler (B/F) restarted the appliance and left it running for two days with the case off. I made safe made my excuses and left...

There is a little clue in the title of this site to what it has been set up for, if people don`t agree its simple they don`t log on, bit like turning telle over if there is something on you don`t like

I'm happy to say that I've never knowingly given any decent advice to anyone :LOL: :LOL:

Look I think this is a fantastic site and giving free advice to people is all very laudable and to an extent I'm all for it and happy to chip in some of my own but people are being given advice which means that some of those people who would otherwise have to pay someone to fix something do those jobs themselves thus depriving people like us-plumbers/heating engineers/RGIs etc of making a crust from those people.

Hit the nail on the head!! All about money!!!!

I suggest you check your regulations a boiler is classed as a gas fitting not a gas appliance and anyone not qualified is NOT allowed to work on a gas fitting. I was simply making a point as a corgi registered engineer that unqualified persons should not work on any gas fittings,and I don't fit baxi boilers as they are cheap rubbish. I can't remember what listing it was as I was just flicking through out of interest.

gasman1971 said:
Yoy keep refering to a boiler as an appliance, a boiler is not an appliance I suggest you refer to essential gas safety 4th edition.A boiler is a gas fitting it does not matter what you say there is no escaping the fact non-competant persons are not permitted to work on gas fittings.I know this to be true as I am an inspector for corgi, and have been for many years. Goodbye

mr mod said:
Misquotes of the law will be deleted.
See Sticky for forum position.

Mr Mod All the above is missquotes.

And what does the quote I don't fit Baxi boilers a they are cheap rubbish mean.

As an Corgi inspector I wouldn't expect him to fit any boilers, or is he moonlighting on the side, perhaps the taxman would be interested in his comments.

I suggest you check your regulations a boiler is classed as a gas fitting not a gas appliance and anyone not qualified is NOT allowed to work on a gas fitting.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
"gas appliance" means an appliance designed for use by a consumer of gas for heating, ....
"gas fittings" means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, ...

So a boiler is both an appliance and a fitting. But these regs only apply to the gas components; there is nothing in the regs to prevent someone changing a heat exchanger, thermostat, time clock etc.

"work" in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say -
(a) installing or re-connecting the fitting;
(b) maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;
(c) where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and
(d) removing the fitting;

This confirms that work on a gas fitting only relates to the gas carrying components.

(6) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to -
(c) work in relation to a control device on a gas appliance if -
(i) the device is intended primarily for use by a consumer of gas; and
(ii) the work does not involve breaking into a gasway.

So changing a thermocouple is debatable as (i) does not really apply but (ii) does.

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
This is the catch-all and would seem to apply to DIY work; though I have never heard of any DIyer being prosecuted for breaking this regulation.

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

That includes thermocouples and thermostats.

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work".

There is no Reg 2 (23 :!:

The actual text of the SI is Here

Are you by any chance quoting from a book, which "explains" the regulations? In the end, it is what the Regulations say which counts, not what someone thinks they say.

I meant regulation 2 point 23 in the guidance note found on page 14 of the Gas safety regs 1998.
Apologies for the error but as I am sure you appreciate non gas carrying parts can still be safety related ie stats, APS, thermocouples etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back