DIY Install: Wireless & Wired Alarm Questions

Sponsored Links
I'm going to throw my tuppence worth in, even though I'm nowhere as good as the others posting here, but having installed a couple of accenta and scantronic alarms, if you're going to hard wire the bell - which I found the trickiest part - then you might as well go for broke, and do the sensors as well. Now I know someone is going to critisise the Accenta as being a basic alarm, but if you fit vibration sensors on the windows and doors, it does the job of being a deterrent, and the alarm will go off before the idiots have got inside
Alarm peripherals are fairly straight forward in design, so if you run 8 core cable around the skirting boards, then you've got 2 cores to power the item, 2 cores for tamper, 2 for an alarm condition, and a couple for spare. The tamper circuit needs to be set up as a compete loop, so you need a connector block to link all the tamper circuits together. You can have 2 keypads (normal one downstairs, and a second one upstairs for setting the alarm at night.

Sponsored Links
Piccy shows stranded as it should be. Don't think I caught that post.

Sparky - So shall I go for a different cable then?

Doggit - If I wanted to hardwire, I could instead just go for a wired pyronic. But I won't clip the wire onto the skirting as it would look very ugly and I'm not willing to lift the whole upper floorboards just to pass a few cables through them. The only reason for hardwiring the bell is because I want it to have reliable power and it also means I don't have to get a ladder to change it's battery every so often.

Lol wire round the skirting ... Do you work for BT ?
On the cable point ....just check if your picking it up that it is stranded not solid core ...

Sorry boiler, I was I didn't realise that you didn't want the wiring showing. And no Sparky, I don't work for BT, just giving a quick and easy suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back