DIY Lead Flashing - Opinions Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently added a new single storey extension with a gable style roof that abuts the existing house wall.

I took a gamble, and decided to have a stab at doing the step and cover flashing myself. I knew it was a risk. Now hlat the point of boarding it out, however I decided to do one final hose test to check if it's water tight.

With the hose head on shower, a distance of about 18inches, I showered the wall above the flashing and I have two or three very slight dribbles on the face of the brick inside.

Now, is it likely I've just done a poor job, or would any step and cover flashing allow water past with such a high volume of water aimed at it? I was careful to try and ensure the water was running down the wall and not pushing up under the flashing steps.

I'm trying to be cautious, but at the same time realistic. I've attached a picture of the dribbles, as well as the flashing that I did.
20200723_192630.jpg
IMG-20200814-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
A hose does not mimic real life rain.
if you had fitted cavity trays these would have dealt with your dribbling

A hose does not mimic real life rain.
if you had fitted cavity trays these would have dealt with your dribbling

Thanks for your reply - not sure how cavity trays would have helped though? The water is running down the face of the bricks below the flashing, within about 10 seconds of spraying the water?

There was a conservatory in the same place for 20 years before the extension and there was no issues, so I'm not sure this would have helped with this?

Sponsored Links
Looks decent, nice job.
I don’t understand how a cavity tray would stop a leak down the front face of the brick, which is nothing to do with the cavity, and would happen even if it wasn’t a cavity wall. Keen to know.

Looks decent, nice job.
I don’t understand how a cavity tray would stop a leak down the front face of the brick, which is nothing to do with the cavity, and would happen even if it wasn’t a cavity wall. Keen to know.

Thank you, really appreciate that, as a diyer, I've genuinely given it my everything to try and get right, so it's really tough when you hit a snag like this.

I'm on the roof at the moment and I've taken all of the flashing off. You can see where the water has run behind the steps and down the front of the bricks. This issue certainly isn't a cavity issue. I think part of my problem is the chases go too far towards the tile, and when I've pointed them up, the mortar hasn't gone back as far as I had hoped (and tried to get it!) You live and learn.

Not ideal, but I'm taking out all of the mortar joints and using Lead Mate instead so I can get the nozzle in deep into the joint. Won't look as neat, but the sun beats down on our back garden, so need something that will expand and contract better I think.

How much did you hose it? Hose pressure at close range/certain angles is going to drive water where rain wouldn’t. If you’re anything like my area you’ll be due another tropical downpour soon so I’d take a look then and hopefully find it’s all good

This issue certainly isn't a cavity issue.
nobody said it was a cavity issue.
what was said a properly formed and fitted cavity tray would have prevented the drips going any further.
Obviously there is a lack of understanding exactly what a cavity tray can and does do.

As i said there was a problem with the flashing i could see in the pictures.

I didn't knock the attempt which was better than many do. However It is only part of a job without trays.

But i stand by my tray comment and my problem comment.

I'm failing to understand what a cavity tray has got anything to do with this issue. The water isn't running down the cavity. Could you explain fully @datarebal ?

upload_2020-8-15_18-24-1.jpeg

Water can’t get beyond the tray. I get it, but realistically not that many ppl would retro fit a stepped tray surely?

Retrofitting a tray is considered best practice but many on here would disagree and of course they're not around to fix it 6 months or so down the line. The thing is with water leaks is that it's often cheaper to do a job right and proper in the first place than have to fix it later and then repair all the damage from the water leak and the remedial works. However I agree I can't see how a cavity tray in this situation would have avoided this particular leak unfortunately it has to be down to the workmanship.

It's not water getting into the cavity though?

who said it was? what was said was if the full flashing system was in place then anything sneaking by the flashing would have been diverted to the outside by the cavity trays .. its what a tray does cavity or otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back