Do you need an E cloth for a new kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's something to make you laugh. I decided to have the 'Bee and Queue' people quote for a new kitchen in the house I'm renovating. Nice chap came around and after measuring up printed me off a list of stuff plus costs. As I looked through, I found an unexpected item: £8.98 for an E cloth. What's this, I said. 'Oh, the computer insists on adding that,' he replied. I then went through the quote and found that quite a number of other unnecesary things had been added. For example, nearly £300 for stripping out the old kitchen (it's already stripped out), £44 for an extractor fan I hadn't asked for, plus £230 for an RCD (already had the place rewired and brought bang up to date.)

I just wonder how this company has decided that adding unnecessary items helps it sell kitchens? My feeling is that if I can find all those items, there are probably a whole lot more that have sneaked in that I haven't noticed. Needless to say, I'm going elsewere. But where . . ?

Sponsored Links
they are really bad for this, friend of mine is having a kitchem from there, and had the same problems, fortunately she's as eagled eyed as you, they quoted £300 for stripping the already stripped kitchen, and wanted £60 for moving a gas pipe even though they have no corgi registered fitters to do it! she kicked off and they took the extras off and gave a bit more discount off, plus she bought it in the sale so in the end she aint got a bad deal.

Good to know I'm not the only one, Derv. I just wonder how many people are actually fooled by this.

Sponsored Links
Lol. Just posted about how good the E-cloths are on another thread. :LOL:
Yep we got a B&Q kitchen and an E-cloth turned up with the kitchen. I called to request a refund as we had not requested it - they said to just keep it and they would refund us anyway.
The thing is that they are superb for cleaning stainless - no smears etc. Well the missus says so anyway. ;)

Lol.
The thing is that they are superb for cleaning stainless - no smears etc. Well the missus says so anyway. ;)

Well, I must admit we have been thinking of buying one - an e cloth - I mean so it's good to know they work. I'd have been really pleased to get one included free. I just thought it was a bit cheeky to add what is essentially a kind of grocery item on a kitchen planning list.

Shame to hear B&Q are trying to con people this way. I've just recently bought a new kitchen from them, but I told them exactly what I wanted, not the other way around. Got a good price. Just hope the quality of the kitchen is good too... ;)

Shame to hear B&Q are trying to con people this way. I've just recently bought a new kitchen from them, but I told them exactly what I wanted, not the other way around.

Sounds a good idea. I don't know enough about kitchens to be able to do that so needed help. Got quotes from MFI, Magnet and John Lewis, who've recently brought out a very keenly-priced range. Chose JL. Would probably have gone with MFI otherwise. Magnet produced a design that wouldn't work.

Hmmm, having just praised B&Q for what seems a good price on a new kitchen, have just learnt that they've put back my delivery date by another two weeks. No reasons, no excuses, no apologies.

I only found out because I was calling them to double check the delivery address, and the lady on the phone couldn't explain why the dates didn't match. She later called me back to confirm that my date is wrong (even though my date is printed on an order confirmation letter sent directly from themselves) and that I have to wait for another two weeks for my kitchen. She couldn't explain, not apologised for, the inconvenience of it all.

B&Q = zero customer service :evil:

wait till you need to get some missing parts for it!

You wanted to know if I'm happy with my B&Q kitchen. I guess if forced to come to an overall conclusion, I'd say "not".
Firstly, it arrived in two stages, which was annoying.
Secondly, the range has been terminated, so spares are not an option anymore.
Thirdly, ALL the colour matched ends had some degree of damage (I think perhaps I'd been given all the returned parts in the hope I'd settle with them and not complain - which won't be the case :evil: )
The wall cabinet mounting boxes (the units inside the cabinet that hook onto the wall brackets and provide some adjustment via a couple of screws) were cheap nasty plastic things that were easy to damage. I hope they don't come loose, otherwise my wall cabinets will end up on the floor one night :confused:
I haven't had the chance to put the cornices, pelmets and plinths in place yet, but I'd put £10 down that there's some damage to one of those bits somewhere...

Had lots of other troubles with B&Q recently regarding appliances and their paint range. Never never never again will I enter their shops or use their website. :eek:

Thanks for the warning, rt. It sounds as though B&Q need to give some serious thought to their quality control. It's a real shame and I sympathise. I guess you could always try writing to the manager or director and let them know how you feel.

Just wanted to say that my B&Q kitchen experience was perfect. Design and layout was professional and well done. Kitchen fit perfectly (well it would, I fit it ;) :LOL: ) Looks the business and was dirt cheap. Would use them again without hesitation. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back