Does extension within 3 meter require Building Regulations' approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
One of my friends is buying a property which is extended to the rear (kitchen) 3 meter.

The seller of the property says, he did not require planning permission as it is within permitted development, but does the seller require Building Regulations approval?
Seller says he did not require building regulations approval as the development was within in 3 meter.

If we need building regulations approval, who should he needs to contact?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi,
One of my friends is buying a property which is extended to the rear (kitchen) 3 meter.

The seller of the property says, he did not require planning permission as it is within permitted development, but does the seller require Building Regulations approval?
Seller says he did not require building regulations approval as the development was within in 3 meter.

Thanks,
Every builder knows an extension which is not an unheated porch or conservatory needs building regs.

I wonder who built it?

Thanks,
Bit of a tricky one because the standard remedy for 'no regs' is that the seller purchases an indemnity policy to cover the buyer against any action or issues being raised by building control later. However, insurance companies have a clause that in order to obtain the insurance the local authority must not have been contacted to ask questions about the missing regs application. In other words, a phone call to the local authority will mean that indemnity insurance is no longer an option.

This assumes the extension is well built and generally checks out in terms of standards. If not then an indemnity may not be acceptable anyway.

Sponsored Links
Just to add to what has already been said, most local authorities have a timeframe for extensions built without notice.
In my area is 6 years.
So after this time they will not look at it unless dangerous.

Statute of limitation for enforcement of building regulations is slightly complicated, depending on the situation, but the long stop is 2 years from completion of the breach. The local authority would take action against the person carrying out the work - builder, contractor etc - but only if within 2 years. The LA can also serve an enforcement notice against the building owner, but that must be done within 12 months of completion. After 2 years there is still the remedy of prosecution in the courts but that would only happen in extreme circumstances.

Seller is wrong. You/your surveyor would need to look very closely at the structure. Things like adequate foundations, insulation, any knockthrough from the original house. When was it built, who by, any drawings, invoices for materials/services available? Any photos from during the build?

I asked my friend again today about the extension of the property he is trying to buy.

He said the seller is not using it as kitchen, it is used as a reception room. There is radiator, light etc.
Seller said, as it is considered as a porch, he does not need building regulation.

Please see the attached floor plan.

Attachments

• extention.PNG
    extention.PNG
    153.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Pretty sure once a radiator has been added it's no longer a porch.
Someone who knows more can comment.

That may be true. The test is that the porch must be against the original house door, the door must be retained in position and any heating (the radiator) must not be connected to the main heating system. Also, the exemption does not apply to the electrical installation, which still requires a completion certificate, and the glazing must comply with glazing regulations.

Of course, the thing should still be built to a decent standard and your friend should satisfy himself of that.

and any heating (the radiator) must not be connected to the main heating system
That was it!

Apropos of nothing - planning portal now say 30sqm for a porch. Wasn't it 3? When did this change

But also a porch is at the front of the house not the rear? If anything that would be closer to being classed as a conservatory than a porch..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back