Door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What thickness internal door linings do most of you go for assuming non fire rated and fire rated?

Sponsored Links
One that suits the opening! fire rated ones either have deep rebates or intumescent strips or both and minimum 30 mm (finished size, excluding stops). Non fire rated anything goes if it works but the thicker the better as easier to install and secure straight and plumb. Thin ones need more care.

So 28mm is fine for NFR, it's not too thin?

I had joinery firm tell me 32mm is ok for fire rated.

Sponsored Links
what's the application that requires it to be fire rated also what rating are you trying to achieve.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the application".

It's a domestic home with a min FD30 rating I'm looking to achieve.

Last edited:
What he means where is the door going, something like a garage to house fire door may be 30 minutes an internal door on a 3 storey house may be 20 minutes and in commercial situations it could be 1 hour or more.

In a house 30 minutes pretty much will catch all!

I just ask for "linings to suit" but I checked and they are 32mm to suit the FD30 doors, with the groove for furry intumescent. I like the furry one because it blocks noise and draughts, even when your house isn't on fire.

I just ask for "linings to suit" but I checked and they are 32mm to suit the FD30 doors, with the groove for furry intumescent. I like the furry one because it blocks noise and draughts, even when your house isn't on fire.

Any chance you could attach a few pictures of some of your different doors with the strips? How easy is it is to remove (do they come loose) and furthermore do you have to replace them every certain number of years?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...4x2100mm-with-brush-pile-white-pack-10-187552

the white part glues into the groove in the door lining (it is available in various widths) and is intumescent strip that swells up when heated. the black "brush" is soft fibres like fur which is moulded or bonded into the strip. The door brushes past them as it closes, and they press lightly against it when shut. As well as draughts, they prevent "cold smoke" e.g. from plastic or electric fires, easily passing the door. You need to seal the door lining into the wall as well, red "fire" expanding foam can be used, or I believe there are intumescent mastics.

I'm told the fibres wear away over time, but I have not noticed it in a domestic house. I suppose you could prise or scrape them out and stick in new ones. The strip is adhesive-bacled.

Have you installed them for all your doors?

I was hoping to see an installed version against the lining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back