Double Feed into Switch

Sponsored Links
No sarcasm intended whatsoever.
Fair enough. I just wondered, since even I did not think that what I'd written had really "cleared things up" :)
I'm sure there will be someone here who uses MK regularly and can tell us what's written on the back.
Just googled one. 13amp.
Thanks. I can't find any MK ones here, but have a selection of other makes, and absolutely every one I've got has got "13A" embossed on the back.

Since I doubt that any of us believe that the 'total rated load' of a double socket is only 13A, one can but presume that all the manufacturers mean "13A per outlet" (i.e. 2 x 13A per double socket), don't you think?

Kind Regards, John

I believe that the BS 1363 test specification sets a maximum total current through a double socket to be 20 Amp. 16 Amp through one socket and 4 Amp through the other.

Duration of test and maximum temperature rise are also specified

I believe that the BS 1363 test specification sets a maximum total current through a double socket to be 20 Amp. 16 Amp through one socket and 4 Amp through the other.
Actually 14A and 6A.

However, as we've discussed countless times before, the fact that compliance with the Standard (hence BS1363 'marking') requires, as a minimum, that the product passes the specified temperature-rise test (at 20A total) in no way dictates what the 'rating' of a particular product may be - that depends upon the actual product and the testing thereof.

There are countless examples of products which are designed and manufactured in such a manner (and hence have a 'rating') well in excess of the minimum requirement of relevant Standard(s) - i.e. that minimum requirement in no way prevents someone manufacturing a product which exceeds those minimum requirements, and giving them an appropriate 'rating'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the awful macro settings, but I just went upstairs and whipped one off, as the actress said to the bishop...

IMG_20220107_133731_352.jpg

is that an issue? - I read that in a similar manner to a capacitor, as it being its max tested value of: 13A @ 250V
Would be less suitable if said 13A @ 220V and you used it on Isel of Man with its often 245V

But this gives rise to another issue. 250V?
is that an issue? - I read that in a similar manner to a capacitor, as it being its max tested value of: 13A @ 250V ... Would be less suitable if said 13A @ 220V and you used it on Isel of Man with its often 245V
Quite so.

It's surely obvious that when something (e.g. plug, socket, switch, cable, enclosure etc.) other than 'current using equipment' has a 'voltage rating', this refers to the maximum safe voltage it can be used with, such that it can be used at any voltage less that that maximum? Only f it is 'current using equipment' is there any problem with using a voltage less than the 'voltage rating' - and, even then, it would virtually never be a safety issue (e.g. trying to use a 230V lamp/bulb at 12V !).

My installation's DNO ('cutout') fuseholders are marked "415V" - do you really think that makes them unsuitable/unsafe at 230V?

upload_2022-1-7_14-48-40.png

Kind Regards, John

Duration of test and maximum temperature rise are also specified
14A and 6A actually, for one hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back