Dover. It's what we wanted.

So if all passports have to be stamped by the French border force when entering the EU so that a tally can be kept of the days a U.K. citizen has been there, presumably the passport also has to be stamped by the U.K. border force when returning so why aren’t we hearing of 12 hour queues in Calais? Is it because the UKBF is more efficient?

Sponsored Links
The report quotes the boss of dover port acknowledging brexit had made things worse but it also seems the uk has simply not invested in the people and infrastructure to cope the new requirements.

Blup

It would be unwise to build capacity for peaks that only occur a few times a year.

Sponsored Links
But those peaks can be obvious and planned for.

The issue is that it now affects every traveller so even what wasn't a problem before, soon becomes 1

It would be unwise to build capacity for peaks that only occur a few times a year.
True. It’s like those that complain that the government should ensure that every village has its own snow plough for the few days per year that the roads get blocked.

The report quotes the boss of dover port acknowledging brexit had made things worse but it also seems the uk has simply not invested in the people and infrastructure to cope the new requirements.

Blup

Same as the checks on imports. From day one, The EU had prepared and were ready to check all goods inwards. Whereas Plague Island acted as if it wasn't really ready for or expecting the Brexit that it put in place. We're still waving through imports from EU as the systems and infracstructure aren't ready yet.

True. It’s like those that complain that the government should ensure that every village has its own snow plough for the few days per year that the roads get blocked.
That would also be stupid

I do have one, just one post brexit annoyance.. when I go to EU countries, I have to go through the everyone channel rather than the EU channel. When I return to the U.K. EU citizens are allowed to use the U.K. channel.

TBH. In most places the everyone channel has a shorter queue

Is that a tacit acceptance that the extra time to process passengers at border control was the cause of the longer delays on those peak days?

Port of Dover actually seem pretty confident that through a combination of the coach tent, limiting/spreading coach bookings and the three small booths they put in last summer, that they've fixed the problem. Presumably, the next big test will be the first week of the summer holidays.

Bit confused as to how people can afford to go on holiday in Brexit Britain. Told here on a daily basis how rough we're havin it.

Blup
So 50% Brexit/50% Tory winkers.

No it isn't.

It's like people who vote to make travel and trade with our neighbours slower, more difficult, and more costly, and then complain that travel and trade with our neighbours become slower, more difficult, and more costly.

It's what you wanted, dummy.

Bit confused as to how people can afford to go on holiday in Brexit Britain. Told here on a daily basis how rough we're havin it.
Don't be silly.

Think about it.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Because some people can afford to go away on holiday doesn't mean that there aren't thousands, if not millions of people who are struggling.

A bit like a Tory politician telling the camera, "We're all in this together", when you know damn well they are not struggling for money and are so disconnected from the cost of living many don't know (or care) how much a stamp, a pint of milk or a loaf costs.

We're not taking about parking for the local bakery. We're talking about the single most important logistics gateway in the UK.

This isn't about simple economics, otherwise Dover port would have found the money, this is about complex economics and international trade. Dover being backed up for a day or two is a big deal. I expect some think-tank will put a monetary value on it and I bet it'll be more than paying for the extra booths would have been.

It's not just the busses that were delayed, but everything else that was blocked because of backlogs as well.

Sponsored Links
Back