Taking back control...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With unelected Highway England - thurning Highways their 'Traffic Officers' into quasi-police officers!

Hauliers to face increased fines under new no-deal Brexit powers to avoid Dover delays

"Sky News understands the proposals, set out in a Department of Transport consultation, will see Highways England Traffic Officers (TOs) given the power to demand and check drivers' documentation for the first time.

TOs will also work with police to levy new increased fines, perhaps as high as £300, on drivers who ignore orders to take an alternative route or head to holding areas."

No freedom of movement within the UK - essentially Internal borders!

Sponsored Links
About time they checked these uninsured vehicles.

From my own experience having been hit by a polish registered truck I’m aware that there is a scam going to ensure the british driver pays. They simply claim the driver is uninsured so that the uk mib picks up the bill

Sponsored Links
About time they checked these uninsured vehicles.

From my own experience having been hit by a polish registered truck I’m aware that there is a scam going to ensure the british driver pays. They simply claim the driver is uninsured so that the uk mib picks up the bill

If the Polish driver is uninsured what happens to them? Do they get points or endorsements?

i was fortunate enough to have the accident witnessed by a police officer dealing with another incident. In my case it was a case of left hand drive truck not checking what was next to him before changing lanes. We were all queuing due to the prior crash. The police officer checked the drivers documents, including green card etc. All good. The truck was also a pawtrans branded vehicle, which is basically the eddie stobart of Poland. It’s when the clam goes through that the problem starts. The polish insurer basically says the driver is uninsured. He gets flagged by the MIB. But it’s the UK insured drivers that pay as the MIB is funded by UK insurance. There are therefore no consequences for the polish insurer. I’m 90% sure he was properly insured. If he got stopped again he’d be flagged and then the polish firm would start feeling the impact. My insurer told me its a known scam that they can’t do much about.

Just another case of the UK being an easy target for every European ponce. About time the drivers/vehicles documents of are checked on entry at the same time as their passports. Shouldn’t take long to look at a couple of extra bits of paper.

Just another case of the UK being an easy target for every European ponce. About time the drivers/vehicles documents of are checked on entry at the same time as their passports. Shouldn’t take long to look at a couple of extra bits of paper.

Its a numbers issue:

Every day, an average of 10,000 lorries pass through the Port of Dover and are typically processed within two minutes.

i was fortunate enough to have the accident witnessed by a police officer dealing with another incident. In my case it was a case of left hand drive truck not checking what was next to him before changing lanes. We were all queuing due to the prior crash. The police officer checked the drivers documents, including green card etc. All good. The truck was also a pawtrans branded vehicle, which is basically the eddie stobart of Poland. It’s when the clam goes through that the problem starts. The polish insurer basically says the driver is uninsured. He gets flagged by the MIB. But it’s the UK insured drivers that pay as the MIB is funded by UK insurance. There are therefore no consequences for the polish insurer. I’m 90% sure he was properly insured. If he got stopped again he’d be flagged and then the polish firm would start feeling the impact. My insurer told me its a known scam that they can’t do much about.

According to this its not a scam its working exactly how it should from the MIB itself.

A National Insurers' Bureau (Green Card Bureau) guarantees that a victim of a road traffic accident caused by a foreign vehicle, originating from a country participating in the Green Card system, will be compensated in the country of accident. The National Insurers’ Bureau of the country of accident can then recover all the compensation paid from the Bureau of the country from where responsible vehicle originates under international agreements.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-cla...gistered-vehicle/green-card-system-explained/

Its a numbers issue:

Every day, an average of 10,000 lorries pass through the Port of Dover and are typically processed within two minutes.
Oh the irony....:rolleyes:

The irony of what? If you give me your car registration I can tell you within 20 seconds whether your car is taxed, insured and mot'd. An ANPR can tell within milliseconds. Where’s the holdup?

According to this its not a scam its working exactly how it should from the MIB itself.

A National Insurers' Bureau (Green Card Bureau) guarantees that a victim of a road traffic accident caused by a foreign vehicle, originating from a country participating in the Green Card system, will be compensated in the country of accident. The National Insurers’ Bureau of the country of accident can then recover all the compensation paid from the Bureau of the country from where responsible vehicle originates under international agreements.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-cla...gistered-vehicle/green-card-system-explained/

They issue the cards and then claim they aren’t valid. That is the scam. A bit like brokers issuing cover notes in the old days and never passing on the premium to the underwriter.

They issue the cards and then claim they aren’t valid. That is the scam. A bit like brokers issuing cover notes in the old days and never passing on the premium to the underwriter.
Those vehicles should be impounded the next time they hit our shores and time should be spent checking their papers. Hopefully enough time so that any perishables being carried can go off. If it gets known that after denying insurance details they will face harassment next time they come over, perhaps the scam will fizzle out. Should be really easy to enter the vehicle details onto a database that will be automatically checked on entry to the UK.

That's what I call super-efficient. 10K vehicles within 120 seconds? WOW!

Sponsored Links
Back