Dover. It's what we wanted.

Sponsored Links
We chose nothing of the sort. It was a consequence of the Brexit deal that BOTH sides negotiated. Nothing stopped the EU/UK teams offering a special arrangement to simplify border checks. Its highly likely one will come, particularly once the new EU EES is rolled out, which is likely to be more unworkable if it remains in its current form.

With the EES, am I right in thinking that it will only be on the first occasion that you go to the EU that they take biometric data. And that as long as you go back at least once every three years you won't need to do it again?

Does any other non EU country have a special arrangement for border checks?

Sponsored Links
Both sides chose the deal we ended up with.

As you know, the EU offers a range of options to countries that are not members. None of them are as good as are offered to members.

UK brexers chose to give up membership, and to choose the hardest Brexit.

You did it.

Own it.

Every time you enter. You will give biometric data and it will be checked. Your passport will no longer be stamped.

It will be slower than the current checks as the technology isn’t reliable enough.

Switzerland has freedom to pass without uncapped freedom of movement.

@JohnD the EU does not govern the rules for the free world as you know and they have learned. Should they want a different arrangement, they will be free to discuss one. Until they feel the need to move they won’t.

@motorbiking as you know UK does not govern the rules for the EU

We used to have a strong and influential voice, but chose to throw it away.

And chose the hardest option available. Should we want a different arrangement, once the Brexers are out of power, we will be free to discuss one. Until we feel the need to move we won’t.

You did it.

Own it.

Anti-Europeans have been moaning for over 40 years, and haven't stopped yet.

Every time you enter. You will give biometric data and it will be checked. Your passport will no longer be stamped.

I've found this in the Times, which casts doubt on that.

However, the first time you use the EES, you will be required to supply your fingerprint and have your photo taken at the crossing, which will cause extra delays. This will then be kept on file for three years so you won’t need to do this extra step each time

Switzerland has freedom to pass without uncapped freedom of movement.

I've just checked and that's because Switzerland is part of the Schengen area for borderless travel. The UK has always been against joining that, partly because it wouldn't go down well with the mantra about controlling our borders, but also because of how it would interact with the Common Travel Area.

I've found this in the Times, which casts doubt on that.

I've just checked and that's because Switzerland is part of the Schengen area for borderless travel. The UK has always been against joining that, partly because it wouldn't go down well with the mantra about controlling our borders, but also because of how it would interact with the Common Travel Area.
They will still be taking your picture and maybe fingerprints (not sure) when you enter each time, but only to check against your recorded data. So it will be quicker than the initial data capture session. Far slower than our historic speed, and a fair bit slower than our current processing speed.

But it's all needed to take back control of our borders.

Sponsored Links
Back