Dover. It's what we wanted.

They are planning to use digital scanners to check you against the records. 4 fingers + facial recognition. I believe the French firm Thales has won the contract. There is a fair bit on their website.

Sponsored Links
They will still be taking your picture and maybe fingerprints (not sure) when you enter each time, but only to check against your recorded data. So it will be quicker than the initial data capture session. Far slower than our historic speed, and a fair bit slower than our current processing speed.

I've been watching a video about it and it makes more sense now. When people have been saying on the news that you would have your photo taken, I was envisaging a border officer with a camera :LOL:

So, after the initial data capture session, we're essentially talking about a facial recognition check. I can see on the video how this could work at an airport or train station, pretty much self service. But I've not seen how will it work with people who are in cars or coaches. Presumably some sort of mobile device. Would it be self service or would border officers still be needed.

Making travel hard is all part of the "punish the leavers" policy that the EU had.

Nothing to do with punishing. We punished ourselves when we listened to morons and those with vested interests. We punish ourselves daily because life as a third country is much harder with all interations with the rest of Europe. We punished ourselves for nothing but a load of self inflicted aggro.

They could not allow a country to leave and demonstrate that it was better out than in.

:ROFLMAO:

We're all still waiting for someone to demonstrate that it's better out. But being worse off was our choice. The EU didn't force us to be worse off. They wanted The UK to be better off. Just like it had been since joining The EU.

Sponsored Links
Are they still having the queues at Dover now that the school holiday rush is over? Didn’t think so. Mind you, if they had put those other booths in like some people on here are asking, those employees would be sitting around scratching their arses until the July school break while the same people on here would be asking why we are wasting money employing people not needed…….

Are they still having the queues at Dover now that the school holiday rush is over? Didn’t think so. Mind you, if they had put those other booths in like some people on here are asking, those employees would be sitting around scratching their arses until the July school break while the same people on here would be asking why we are wasting money employing people not needed…….
Just because a booth exists you don't have to staff it during a quiet period. Seriously, you can do better, did you have a bad night's sleep?

Nothing is Free.

What is needed is out of the box or Booth thinking. It would be very easy to conduct the checks on board during the crossing for certain frequent travellers, thus reducing demand.

Just because a booth exists you don't have to staff it during a quiet period. Seriously, you can do better, did you have a bad night's sleep?
So what happens to the person that was manning it? Temporary staff on minimum wage?

So what happens to the person that was manning it? Temporary staff on minimum wage?

At the moment at Dover, I've seen videos where only a couple of the booths are manned when it is quiet. The same in Calais. I saw a video where out of 18 booths, only 3 were manned. They will just manage it like many other organisations do. The extra staff will be doing other tasks when they are not needed for the booths. I think they do this all the time at airports. And at Aldi, they only open tills when needed. Dover say they have a very good working relationship with the French border force. They just say how many staff they will need at particular times and they come across through the Chunnel. I don't think it will be as difficult as you are expecting.

It's something that I have witnessed countless times in my life.

Companies and organisations know damn well that footfall increases at certain times of the day/ week/ month/ year.

But they don't ever seem to be able to provide enough staff to cope with the demand.

It's almost as if the number of people they are presented with has taken them by surprise.

Apparently we've got a busy weekend ahead. Any bets on the level of traffic at Dover?

Nothing is Free.

What is needed is out of the box or Booth thinking. It would be very easy to conduct the checks on board during the crossing for certain frequent travellers, thus reducing demand.

Lies are free and you revel in the supporting the liars.

Sponsored Links
Back