Dreamland electric blanket broken but not the plug or cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of those fleece dreamland electric blankets. It's a double size and there are two plug/power supplies, one for each side. One side has failed. So I checked the power cable from the failed side, in the good side and it was fine. I then checked the power cable from the good side in the failed side, and it failed. So the problem is in the blanket itself in the heating element park. My guess is a break right at the edge where the cable plugs into the blanket? Anyone know if this is an easy fix, or indeed if there is a place that fixes things like that somewhere? Thanks

Sponsored Links
So the problem is in the blanket itself in the heating element park. My guess is a break right at the edge where the cable plugs into the blanket? Anyone know if this is an easy fix, or indeed if there is a place that fixes things like that somewhere? Thanks
I doubt very much that, even if it were possible, a repair would be cost-effective. How old is it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's only about 2 years old. 3 at the most.
In that case, as bernard has said, there would certainly be no harm in asking the manufacturer about it. Do you remember how long the warranty was for?

Kind Regards, John

My guess is a break right at the edge where the cable plugs into the blanket?
On what basis?

Anyone know if this is an easy fix, or indeed if there is a place that fixes things like that somewhere? Thanks
Instinctively I'd be surprised if the answers were other than "no" and "no". :(

In that case, as bernard has said, there would certainly be no harm in asking the manufacturer about it. Do you remember how long the warranty was for?

Kind Regards, John

Under U.K. law goods must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable time, typically 6 years. Any manufacturers warranty is in addition to your legal rights. Your contract is with the retailer NOT the manufacturer.

And the next obvious question set would be "is it designed to be used when you're actually in bed" followed by "were you using it when in bed"
If the answers are "No" followed by "Yes" then it's been used outwith its design parameters

Fire Safety recommends that Electrical Blankets are checked yearly,
Not unreasonable advice, but there is very little useful 'checking' that can actually be done - external visual inspection and insulation resistance measurement are the only things which come to mind.

Kind Regards, John

And the next obvious question set would be "is it designed to be used when you're actually in bed" followed by "were you using it when in bed". If the answers are "No" followed by "Yes" then it's been used outwith its design parameters
True, but only of possible consequence if the answer to the second question were truthful - and if it weren't, who would know?

Kind Regards, John

The manufacturer, after they opened the blanket and found the one-shot thermal 'fuse' had tripped

Not unreasonable advice, but there is very little useful 'checking' that can actually be done - external visual inspection and insulation resistance measurement are the only things which come to mind.

Kind Regards, John

Most people fold electric blankets and put them away for Summer thus creating a stress on the elements, electric blankets should be lightly rolled up,
It is this that is incorporated into the safety check. Depth of fold.

Most people fold electric blankets and put them away for Summer thus creating a stress on the elements, electric blankets should be lightly rolled up,
That all makes sense - but I would note that every electric blanket I can remember having seen has been sold in a 'folded up' state.
It is this that is incorporated into the safety check. Depth of fold.
I am not sure I fully understand what that means, but are you saying that a blanket would 'fail' a safety check because of certain features of the fold, even if no electrical problem, or visible other problem, was detected?

Who determines what is the acceptable 'fold depth' for a particular blanket, and where does one find such information?

Who is meant to do this safety check? Those who undertake 'PATesting' are presumably not necessarily equipped to measure 'fold depth', even if they would know how to interpret it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back