Drilled through an electric cable - I think

Noz

I think I agree with you. Even if the cable IR is OK & continuity is OK, the cores may be damaged (reduced capacity).

But without test equipment, it is impossible to assess IR & continuity.

Sponsored Links
Securespark: "Noz" ???

I think you meant RJB!! Noz was arguing that resistance would be >299M ohms!!

Splitting hairs maybe as well as cables![/quote]

This one had a kitchen cabinet hanging on it for 10 years!

Simonkitchencabinetmounting.jpg

The cable fed a light switch, it still worked but the drill had cut right thru the cpc. It would have been a different story if the kitchen fitter had drill the live (I wish) :evil:

This length of cable was installed outside the permitted zone in a kitchen. The pointers show as many as 5 hits by nails or screws in the 1 metre length. This was one cable in a kitchen ring. The circuit worked, no continuity on phase and a dead short between neutral and earth.

Fault was only discovered during PIR pre change of cu.

PICT0014.jpg

Thanks for everone's feedback and support.
A sparky came out last night, told me i'd drilled through the earth. It took him about 5 minutes to repair it (don't know what he did - something about recrimping it.) he even put the cuboard back on DOOD!!!

End of story

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes:

May I ask if the electrician tested the circuit after the repair ??
Just curious.

Ed

I don't understand how the RCD would have tripped if just the CPC was compromised?

I would really like to know the insulation resistance readings after the repair too.

I don't think he used any testing equiptment, when i got home he was just finishing and my wife told me what he'd said / done.
would it be possible for an amature to test the insulation - I'm familiar with taking readings from digi multimetres. I would take all precautions if explained.

cheers

A multi meter is not the tool for the job. You need a insulation tester.This basically fires 500V down you conductors and it measure the resistance which needs to be high (>2M Ohms).

You can buy one on ebay for about £50-60 for a cheap one. If your sparky was a regualted sparky he would or should have tested that his rectifying work was to regs.

Can you not give him a call and ask if he did test the circuit and explain his findings and what work he carried out rather than via your wife.

It may put your mind at rest.

Along with the Minor works certificate he should have given you!!

RJB, I hope you don't think that I was having a go, I was just trying to give an example of a fault (to the insulation only) which might not show up during testing (maybe I should have said IR readings were >5Mohms??)

Nozspark. Nonsense I don't take offence and I didn't read your post as offensive.

I read it as you saying if wire had been drilled it wouldn't affect IR reading which I was questioning. I probably misread your point.

;)

PS

Along with the Minor works certificate

forgot about the paper work bit!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back